Strange Carburetor Operation?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Strange Carburetor Operation?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

Woke up my '23 Roadster Pickup after long winters nap. Bought this car at an estate sale last Summer,....have driven it very little. Car runs very good, but in my limited experience with it last Fall, it always seemed a bit "hard-starting" when cold. Same again this Spring, so I started experimenting. Noting a bit of raw gasoline dripping out of carb when first cranking cold engine with starter and the normal bit of initial choke for two strokes or so, but after cranking with three of four "bursts" with starter, it started up with a few seconds of ragged running but immediately "cleared up" and ran beautifully as usual. Always starts instantly on first stroke when warm. I decided that next time I start the engine engine cold, I'd first try with no choke at all. Surprise, surprise,.....the engine started instantly and ran smooth as could be! And since that instant cold start a few days ago, it has started instantly when cold without choke, every single time, for the last five or six starts! So, it's obvious to me that prior to this recent "success", I had been "flooding" it every time I'd tried to start it cold by using the choke as we normally do. My question then is, even tho' I'm certainly not complaining about the "instant" cold starts, it really is what I'd call "abnormal" and I'm wondering what could be wrong with the carburetor,....???? By the way, it's an NH Holley and NOT the more usual "swayback" NH Holley but the "straight through" design. So what do you think? Should I just leave it alone and enjoy the present instant cold starts without any choke and good running and smooth idle? I am sort of the,....."if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type,.....anybody? Thanx,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Better just remove it & send it my way, Harold ! I'm sure I can fix you up with a lawn mower carburetor or something you'll need to "choke" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

Heck,....I'm "choking" right now! Ha ha,.....

Hey Steve, been meaning to call you, but while you're here, I'll take this opportunity to mention that John A. and a couple of the guys are planning on a trip up to your new place. This came up at our last CCMTFC meeting, and I discovered later that they happened to pick a day when I have a pretty important doctor's appt. at Cardiac Study Center. Just wanted you to know that I was really disappointed to learn that I won't be able to make it on that date. Dang! Oh well, some other time I guess.

Oh, and just so you know,....I'm still "choking"! .......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

I think the guys got together and picked a date they knew you couldn't make Harold...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

A totally non-expert opinion:

Every Model T I've had contact with required a short burst (on starter) or a couple of pulls (on crank) with the choke engaged, in order to give a reasonably quick start. Either cold or warm.

It seems to me, that if your car starts better without any choking, it may be that the mixture is set waaaaay rich. In operation, that would do two things that I am aware of - produce excessive carbon buildup, and heat your exhaust manifold to cheery red when running. Worst case, it might even get hot enough to warp the exhaust valves or crack something.

Of course, it might be something about your particular carb's makeup that is doing this.

If it were mine, I'd do a rebuild on the carb before the touring season gets under way - just to be on the safe side. And if I didn't feel qualified to do it myself I'd send it to someone who is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

I think Peter is dead on. I would suspect the spray needle and the main jet may be worn out, or the float set just a bit high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

OK, So what if I have the opposite problem: The car starts just fine and idles great, I can accelerate smoothly but when I get up to speed and the car should just cruise along happily, it starts missing beats and sputters?
I have switched coils, cleaned the timer, played with the spark advance, played with the fuel mixture, cleaned out the carb, though I just put it back the way it was. Now I am wondering if I should not have done a better job while I had it off. I am not a read the instructions guy by nature... it is so seldom I have to humiliate myself by going back and reading the instructions that it makes sense to ignore them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Remove the fuel filter. Sounds like you are running out of gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Don't need to wait for the Club to come out, Harold - I'll be back from Bakersfield by Sunday.

BTW - Jim Beall's '26 p/u didn't need any choke either - not sure with his new engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

First thing to do is after the engine starts and is warmed up, turn the needle in until it starts to slow down, then back out till it smooths out.

If you still continue to have no choke starting you might need to adjust the float level.

I had one which used to start right up when cold but when warm it would flood. I lowered the float level and it cured the problem.

You also might have some gum built up in the needle valve. The newer fuels get gummy when the car is parked a long time. This gum would cause the float valve to stick and maybe let too much gas in.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration