Drag link rod caps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Drag link rod caps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Perkins on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

I have installed APCO cap accessory on both ends of the drag link. I did grease the caps prior to installation. Now the link is super tight at both ends. Can the ball caps be too tight? Steering wheel does feel tight and very responsive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Mark, what do you mean by "Super tight?" If you jack the front wheels off the ground can you easily turn the steering wheel or is it difficult? I just run the adjusting screws in until they bottom out then I back them out just enough that I can install a cotter pin. As long as the balls are round nothing should bind up

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

Heres my take on this of which I'm sure to get a lot of static. I personally don't care for the apco caps as they don't give you an indication of the wear on the ball without an occasional tear down. A badly worn ball can pop out of an apco cap, same goes for the wishbone ball. I think they are an accessary from the day that are better left for display. Having said that I suppose you can run one safely as long as an inspection is done on a regular basis if you drive your car a lot. Steering components and wish bone caps seem to miss getting lubed on a regular basis. MHO, KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

If you use good parts when you install the apco caps and keep everything lubed it would take a very long time to wear the ball enough to pop out of the socket.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

If the balls have worn to oval shape, a tight cap will bind. But whatever the cause, it is too tight.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration