Help, Please, Reading Numbers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help, Please, Reading Numbers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Can anyone read these numbers on my 1914 Beaudette body plate? If so, what does this tell me? Any ideas on how to enhance the numbers to make them more readable? I've already played with the photos in iPhoto. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Marty,

It looks like your plate was exposed to quite a bit of rust. We may not be able to read that one even with a high resolution photograph.

You said it was a Beaudett body are you basing that on a B embossed on the front heel panel or on something else?

Ive been lucky a few times and been able to change the contrast and sometimes even invert the colors and been able to make out what a body number was. If you want me to try it, please send me a high resolution photo of the number from several angles. The photos you posted would work as long as they were 400 kb or better.

In this case if your body has a B on the heel panel or is otherwise identified as a Beaudett (and just having the metal Tag probably isnt enough to confirm it for sure as other makers may have also used a metal tag according to some posting. ) the a 1914 Body would have the following general lay for the number:

Eric Hylen kindly posted his 1914 Beaudett body tag that is shown below:

In this case the 4 dot 14 dot 90684 stands for Apr 1914 . Note that the month and year are the first 3 digits. Your tag appears to be really bad in that area which may make it harder to figure out. (See also the posting: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40322.html )

If you click on my name at the beginning of my posting, it brings up my profile. My e-mail is the third line down. Please limit any single e-mail to 9.9mbs or less.

We never know until we try.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Marty,

You may want to clean the tag just a little then take a piece of copy paper, lay it over the tag and make a rubbing.

Take a pencil and lay the point on its side and "rub" it across the tag numbers back and forth with the paper in between.

I say you may see: 5-14-9182?

(the - is a dot and I am almost clueless on the last two)

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

A couple of ideas:

1) Lighting it from the side will accentuate the relief, maybe making it easier to read.

2) Flip the plate over, maybe some of the numbers will stand out better on the back side?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

maybe a rubbing from the back side?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Mark read my mind. Sometimes a strong light from different angles will make something like that readable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Great ideas!!! Thanks. I'm going to try and very carefully remove the tag and try the reverse thing and the pencil rubbing. Maybe once it's off, this will be easier. I'll take more pics after that and post them.

I knew I could count on you guys.

Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration