Rigging Rocky Mtn Brakes to be Cable Actuated

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rigging Rocky Mtn Brakes to be Cable Actuated
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

I have set of reproduction Rocky Mtn brakes that I want to put on my speedster. Due to various modifications on the car, the actuating hardware that came with the kit will be difficult to adapt.

I have seen the forum threads dealing will original AC brakes that use cable actuation off the brake pedal. I think it would be rather easy to use the cable system to actuate the Rocky Mtns on my speedster.

Has any one tried this and what were your results? Is there anything inherent in the repo Rocky Mtn design that makes cable actuation a bad idea?

Thanks,
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 12:13 am:

I did this on my 22. I used the equalizer and ran cables back to rear wheels. It worked just fine once I got everything adjusted!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 02:05 am:

You can skip the equalizer and mount the cable through a pulley connected to brake pedal above the center line of the brake pedal shaft via a pull rod and guide on the drive shaft.
I think the Photobucket photos should be still up;

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/318135.html?1351131937

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:08 am:

David and Mark,

Thanks for your responses.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Another option to consider is pick up a set of parking brake cables for a modern car or pickup truck (ones enclosed in a "sheath". By anchoring the sheath at the rear axle and then again at the frame, you know have a great many routing options. I used a set of parking brake cables from a Ford Taurus for the front brakes on my "27 T roadster. Made the installation quite simple. On it I wanted one side longer (the right side) and the Taurus cables totally accommodated this. I have been working on a '67 F100 project and looking at it's parking brake cables, they could work well.
Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Hey Les,

Thanks for the idea. I always value your thoughts.

Tom

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration