Speedometer Cable Support Assembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Speedometer Cable Support Assembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 08:02 am:

Does any one know the correct way that Ford attached the hanger for the speedometer cable and what material was used for a 1911 T?
I have black leather strap that is attached to one of the engine pan bolts at present.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:14 am:

Pete,
No support assembly/strap was used on a Model T. The cable should hang freely in a gentle arch. Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Russ,
That is very interesting. I have seen a lot of original cables that have been worn by something that was holding them. Do you think that the owners just put something there because the cables were flopping around?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 10:10 am:

I agree with Russ, however, I like to have a strap holding the cable anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

I am not an authority on the proper way to mount which speedometer in which year, but I study original era photographs almost as much as anybody. This subject was debated in the hobby many years ago, which has caused me to pay a bit of attention to how the speedometer cables are mounted in photos where it can be seen.
I agree with both Russ F (the ultimate speedometer expert!), and Larry S.
I have looked at many hundreds of era photographs, and I have seen speedometer cables that did have some sort of attachment to either the frame or wishbone. Without having kept a running count, I can only guess at the numbers. But I would guess that at least ten times as many cars show no sign of any additional mounting of any kind. The smaller number of cables with some additional cable housing mounting or support can easily be explained as minor "improvements" made to cars by owners after they bought them or their service garage. One end of the cable housing attaches onto the speedometer gear-drive. The other end of the cable housing connects to the speedometer itself. Somewhere, a couple inches to over a foot away from the speedometer, the cable housing will go through either the floorboards or the firewall, and possibly both depending on the specifics of the car and speedometer mounting. That passage MAY offer some support. Sometimes there is a clamp onto the firewall below the speedometer, but I don't know how many of those may be original or not. Most model T Fords with a speedometer appear to have not had any cable support beyond those two ends and the floor.
Many other cars apparently did put a clamp somewhere
midway on the cable housing. I have seen many horseless carriages with nice cast iron or brass clamps that support the cable housing midway, attaching to the frame or something. I have seen a few good era photos of such cars showing such clamps and suspect that that is just one of the things a couple hundred more dollars could buy for you back then.

I have seen a number of model Ts with cable housings supported to either the frame or wishbone using simple brackets that appear homemade. I have also seen quite a few where support was provided by a few loops of bailing wire. Like Larry S, I usually provide a little added support myself if a car does have a speedometer. Right now, none of my cars do.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

You need to have the rubber bushing in the hole punched in the apron which is directly below the speedometer position on the dashboard. The cable will rub the apron at that point if you don't have one in there.

Otherwise, it is a gentle curve to the swivel from where the cable drops out below the apron. I rotate the swivel just a little in its clamp so there is no sharp bend where the cable attaches.

Original '13 and '14 aprons are factory punched but I'm not sure about the '11 and '12.

If you lift or pull the cable either way with a strap under the car, it puts a sharper curve in the 48-inch cable.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Our 1912 Canadian car has the hole stamp in both aprons for right or left hand drive. Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Ken-
The hole in the splash shield is there on the 1911 car, but that rubber bushing wasn't added until about 1913.

That being said, I have a grommet on my car.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Colin,

You're right! Both of my aprons are punched for the speedometer cable. Never thought to look. Just like the dashboard which is drilled for RHD and LHD.

So the bushing wasn't added until about 1913. Needs it.

Are the '11 running boards punched for the carbide generator? I believe Royce said the '12s were punched. There is a right and left on those.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 10:21 am:

My original splash shields on my 1911 have holes on both sides for the speedometer.

The hole is punched for the acetylene hose on the driver side only.

I suspect the hole was an "in place" punch as the hole locations seems to vary from car to car.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

The acetylene hole is punched only on the left splash shield on mine. There is a rim pushed through about 1/8" high. This was to keep the gas hose from cutting. It is in line with the two rear carbide generator mounting holes on the running board. (they are all original '13)

The old photographs seem to confirm the '13/'14 gas line was in a standard location

The carbide generator mounting holes are in all '13/'14 running boards so my rights have them also. I don't know what the RHD '13s did as far as the acetylene gas line hole is concerned.

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration