Got Tanked...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Got Tanked...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Installing a new fuel tank purchased from a vendor.

Should it be painted or finished in any way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:22 am:

Tim what year car I know in the 26/27 they are painted black :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Oval tank going on a 23 Runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:46 am:

I believe it should go in just as it is with the galvanized finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:47 am:

No new 26-27 tanks are being made, so it's 1925 or earlier. Early exposed tanks are painted, but I believe later assembly line photos show all the tanks unpainted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

:-) The 26-27 Fordor and TT tanks are the standard oval, under the seat. I left mine unpainted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

15-25 T's tanks were left galvanized going by assembly line photos.

I found a good oval tank at Chickasha for my 21 Touring that had been painted black way back when for some reason.
I got it home and used paint remover to remove the black paint revealing the galvanized surface that was beginning to rust in some places.

After painting with Krylon aluminum color spray paint it looked pretty good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Well, no new tanks are available right now from the vendors. I'm going to attempt to salvage the original tank, however, I'm not looking forward to it.

Anybody have a nice useable oval tank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

Check out the Ford barn website. Look under T parts. Sometimes you can find them there. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Tim, there are at least seven parts dealers I'd try before giving up, and that's without resorting to M***. One you didn't check with may still have your tank in stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

This tank was under the bed of my 1917 Maxwell Light Delivery when I got it and I replaced it with a Maxwell factory cowl tank during restoration. Can anybody tell me is this a Model T tank and what year is it? It is 27 3/4 long and the end is 9 x 13 inches.
Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

Howard, it certainly looks model T to me, approx 1920-25. Not sure just when the oval tank was introduced.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

Thanks Allan, I'm curious about what this is because it appears that my 1917 Maxwell was delivered as a bare chassis and never had the cowl tank mounted but instead had this tank mounted under the owner installed bed. If this is a tank later than 1917 then I'm wrong in my assumption that this was used from new.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Allan you were right on. Oval tank introduced during 1920 in the open cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

Howard,
Just because it LOOKS like a Model T tank, doesn't mean it is--that's a common shape for a gas tank, and the brackets look pretty professional, so might be an aftermarket tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Thanks David, I never thought of it that way. I just assumed because the body was owner installed they used what was readily available and since it looked like Model T that's what I thought it was. Maybe it was factory installed as you say the brackets looked professional and it did fit perfectly.

Howard Dennis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration