Security and Spares

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Security and Spares
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Not something I have really thought about as tend to only go on day trips and tend to stay close to my car and taken some basic tools with me.

I have a couple of longer events this year where I will be stopping overnight and wondered best what to secure my T, came across a Denver boot or similar but they do not clamp close enough for the narrow wheels. Any other thoughts?

Also what spares do people carry with them, what would be the top 5 things to take?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Spare coil, Boyco set if you have one, spare innertube,and of course someone to keep you company. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

I used to take a long chain and run it between front and rear wheels. Then lock it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Your best tool to have is a cell phone In case you need to call a flat bed tow truck. Also a list of phone numbers of other old car enthusiasts along the way that might be able to help you out in a pinch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

I like the chain idea. I'd cover the chain with rubber hose to protect the wheels. It's unlikely that a thief would know how to drive a T, but taking the coils out would guarantee no start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

I think the chain idea is a good one and defo covered with something, by so much worried about them driving away more towing away.

To be fair when I started the interior I found a spare key hidden in a small pocket someone had stitched underneath the seat never noticed it before then, quite liked that idea

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

I've never worried about securing my T. Parked it like any other car at restaurants, overnight in motel lots, etc. Never one speck of trouble. Both open cars and closed. (I do lock the doors on the closed cars, as anyone would on any car with lockable doors.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Intentional theft of a Model T is unlikely. A druggy looking for quick cash for his next high will go for something in the car he can pawn right away. Most thefts of antique cars I've heard of have been accidental when the thieves took a trailer not knowing what was in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

Last summer I spent 6 days on a pre-'16 progressive Snapper's tour in western Michigan. We spent every night in a different place, and our trailers stayed back in Kalamazoo. The cars were outside every night. Theft and vandalism were precisely zero. And, while there were several Model Ts on the tour, there was also some seriously expensive iron - think Winton, Stoddard-Dayton, Pierce-Arrow, two brass-era Silver Ghosts. Obviously, there are places it would be a poor idea to do this, but where we were, we weren't worried.

Since Snapper's is an AACA affiliate, I posted an article about that tour on the AACA website. If you're interested, here's the link.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/259191-snappers-pre-1916-progressive-tour/

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Thirty years of touring and when we are at a restaurant, motel or RV park it stays outside like all the other cars. Never had a problem but can't say it might not happen some day. We're a little careful about the places we stay but they aren't all 5 star by any stretch. Some folks will take their radiator cap off an stash it but I've not even bothered with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Spare - Cell phone, AAA card, maps and a GPS. 1 quart of oil, a gallon of water, a decent mix of hand tools including a 3/8 drive socket set. Spare ignition coil(s) and spark plugs. A small can with misc nuts & bolts, fuses, plain and electrical wire. Hand cleaner and a few rags. In my speedster I also have a spare fuel pump, bendix and starter solenoid. I have on occasion wanted all of these over the last 30 years, more often to help someone else rather than for my own car. I figure if it's going to take more than these to keep me going I probably need to use the cell phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

Walt, you forgot the kitchen sink! but I'll bet you sorta have it with a can of brake clean. We take our T's out on a breakfast run every Saturday morning in Las Vegas, Nevada. Most don't even pull their key, We have never had a problem in the three years that I have been going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

Walt is right, we all have to take something with us and you usually still don't have 100% of what you need but between all of us we have always managed to get going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 12:14 am:

John, I did forget a couple things but not the sink. Rain gear, a small first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. Of those, I've used the rain gear but haven't needed the other two. There is a small group we call "the usual suspects" who tour together and support/inspire each other. It's great to have tour buddies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 04:38 am:

After 4 months traveling across the USA and back where we parked the T at motels, restaurants, outside peoples houses, shopping malls in large cities, small towns national parks even in a car park while we took a river cruise for the whole day we never had one hint of a problem. Don't leave objects in view that might attract attention and you will be OK.

You can bet what ever you pack in case of trouble it won't be anything you have on board that you will need if something happens.

Obviously with the poor tire problem (even it they weren't) taking a tube or two and the necessary equipment to change a tire plus a spare coil or two and maybe a timer is obvious. After that knowing your own car you might add other small things but forget the big stiff the extra weight will only lead problems.

A few months ago a friend took his newly restored 1912 touring to a car show near us. while there he heard a loud BANG and saw his front tire had blown tube had a 9" split ). His car was the oldest but out of 100 plus cars at the show only one had a jack he could use ( which didn't go high enough) and no one had tire irons or a tire pump let alone a tube.

Luckily I was able to supply the needed gear after he rang his wife asking for her to deliver them for him. He now has a set of tools in each Model T so he won't get caught again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Some great advice here thanks all 😀

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 10:27 am:

I've never been on a long tour with my car. Since I'm still a new(ish) driver and my car hasn't been gone through from stem to stern I'm a little cautious. The longest ride I've ever taken with her was a Mystery Run when I was in college. Basically it's like a scavenger hunt where you drive around town looking for landmarks of some sort. Chris Paulsen can probably describe it better than I can, since it was his idea. Anyway, I had a rear tire blow out and couldn't finish the run. Unfortunately I didn't have a spare on hand, but I got a ride to the garage where my tools and a stash of spare parts were available. Got the stuff to fix it, drove it back to the garage, and ordered new parts.

As far as parking the car, I always pull the key. I don't do it for anti-theft purposes as far as the car, but I don't want a little kid to hop in and start playing with it. Either the key could be lost, or they could possibly get a free start and hurt someone.

I do like the idea of pulling the coils overnight, and removing the radiator cap. I have a motometer on my car and would like to still have it the next morning.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration