16 horn button question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 16 horn button question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

I finally found the right button for our 16! My question after looking at all the old posts I can find is does anybody know what the screws in the bakelite thread into? Are they self tapping? Most likely I guess. I don't want to break it not easy to find any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

I'm in California and can't look at mine to tell. If nobody answers this before I get home next week, remind me and I'll take a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Mine has machine screws.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Our Canadian sourced buttons have brass inserts embedded in the hard rubber switch body. The screws are metal thread machine screws.

This may help.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

I don't have mine "in hand" right now, but Allan's description sounds right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

My 16 horn button is the same as Allan's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 09:34 am:

thank you guys. I will let it soak a while and gently try screw and if that dont work I will clean it as good as I can and solder the wire to the old wire,I tested with meter it still works as rusty as it is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 11:59 am:

I have located two buttons over time. One that was fitted to a car, and one that was NOS. The one fitted to the car had the wire attached by a small machine screw (#6 brass)? in a brass insert and soldered into place. The ground strap was also attached with a machine screw and soldered into place.

The NOS button has the screws with inserts (not soldered yet) so I would think it is a safe bet that that's how they were made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Paul,
I was thinking the same thing--as rusty as those screws are, if they don't easily turn, you will likely break the body, so I would just solder the new wire to the old, since it still has electrical conductivity & works. Interesting that the button itself is still in nice shape, but the insides aren't. Finding a good button was my big problem; they're usually cracked!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration