1913 Roadster Barn Find

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1913 Roadster Barn Find
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

I recently acquired another early brass era barn find Model T Ford. This car spent a majority of its life in the Southern California desert. Although the climate did not do the wood any benefit, the body metal and chassis are in fantastic condition. This looks to be an original and mostly complete car. Casting date on the engine is 03/12/13. Engine has great compression. Transmission is in very good condition with no visible wear on the transmission drums. Pedal cams and transmission show very little use. This would make a very nice original and mostly complete car for someone looking for an early car to restore. It will likely be available for purchase once a little work has been done to get it running. In the mean time, here are a few pictures I wanted to share.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

How much for it as is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

That will make a nice "twin" to your dad's original 1913 roadster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

I want it. Can't afford it! That don't stop me from wanting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard salazar on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

I want a barn find like This

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

Ron,

This car is actually in WAY better shape than what he started with! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

I've had a couple calls regarding this car. For those who are curious, I'm asking $10,500. Again, nice original and mostly complete unmolested early 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Looks like an older "restoration". The horn is from a 1911 torpedo. Completely incorrect for this car but good property to sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Looks like an older "restoration". The horn is from a 1911 torpedo. Completely incorrect for this car but good property to sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Nice, Mark-
The car has a Prest-O-Lite "E" tank. It is shorter than the "B" tank. I would like to see some pictures of the gas lamp plumbing if possible.

Along with the horn that Royce pointed out, the carburetor mixture rod escutcheon plate is from 1909-1910 (four-screw type).

I'd also like to see some hubcap close-ups.

Nice find!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

I don't think that's the horn unique to the later Torpedo / Open Runabout. All the ones I have seen have the coiled tube in a perfect circle and it coils to the outside where the flex tubing attaches (not woven through the middle), the bell where the bug screen attaches doesn't flare at all, and the bell should be cast downward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

I don't know, Mark ... back tire is shot, headlight glass broken, and the upholstery ...
It's pretty much ruined ! I don't think anyone is going to want a car in such terrible shape. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Cool box is 1912 style. I think the car was assembled from the parts that were available and on hand at the time. Regarding the horn. Yes it is not the common horn that you would see on the style car but then again it is an early 13 and there is no hole in the original firewall indicating that the 13 style horn was used on this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

Regarding the earlier choke rug plate, I remove the plate and was unable to find any other screw holes in the original firewall. This would imply that they possibly used an earlier component when assembling the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Torpedo horns had more "droop" to them, but Ive seen these before on early cars...who made them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

Is the firewall very old plywood? It looks like there are a couple of thin layers I can see in the close up pic of the speedo. The second layer is see seems to ripple in the horizontal direction to the outside layers vertical grain. Any better pictures perhaps of the firewall you maybe able to post sometime? I'm really curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

Little wear on the pedals, looks like a great find. Thank you for sharing, someone will have a wonderful original project.

Oh, I see the problem, a waterpump. Disregard everything I typed above.......

:-)

(Message edited by Rob on April 13, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 02:20 am:

I could really like that car. I could actually be seriously interested in working something out selling/trading one of my three together cars plus maybe a little. But I really would be foolish to do that. My '15 runabout is almost that close to tourable. So a '13 doesn't really give me much I don't already have. I figure my '24 coupe is the most valuable of the three I have, and it isn't worth quite enough. The boat-tail? The mostly '13 speedster? I may have to put some thought into this.

Great find! Thanks for sharing the photos! I do hope to see more of it here or other threads.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Rob,

I think the roadster wants to be just like a model K forward. Thus, the water pump. 😀

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 09:43 am:

Stupid auto correct. You know what I mean. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 09:58 am:

What a great find!! Awesome car for someone. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 11:34 am:

Does it have the early frame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Larry,

Yes, early frame with cast rear brackets. It did not have a data plate attached to the dash I could mutilate. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Clyde in Cedarville CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

Don't sweat it, Mark. Things happen, and I know how that feels. Love both your new cars! dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

The 1913 Roadster has found a new home with someone who will do a complete, accurate and thorough restoration. Thank you Larry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

Ha Ha! I thought that car had "Larry" written all over it!
Congratulations to both of you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration