What can you tell me about my tires?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What can you tell me about my tires?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Mendez on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 12:41 am:

I am going to need tires for it and can use some advice for brand , price, size and anything else you can think of.
Front tires.FrontRear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 01:29 am:

#1. Stay under 50 MPH with them
#2. They look like 30X3 1/2
#3. Here's a link to some good folks:
http://www.lucasclassictires.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Mendez on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 02:20 am:

When I measure the diameter it they measure 21". Am I not understanding something? All of the references to tires for a 1914 appear to be 31's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 02:35 am:

Try this:

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/440-450-21-Lester-Blackwall-78701L.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:59 am:

A 1914 had non demountable wheels, 30x3" in the front and 30x3-1/2" in the rear. Someone has installed more modern demountable wheels on your car and from the bent out edge on the rims it looks like '25-'27 balloon wheels that uses 21x4.50 tires.

From Burbank you have about an hours drive in a modern car to Chaffin's garage in Corona - they can help you with anything you may need for your Ford and will give good free advice too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 07:47 am:

Frank,Before you make a large investment in tires,tubes,and flaps i would have a expert look over your wheels,spokes,and rims.As per what Roger said,are you going to try and use those or maybe you want to go correct? One thing sure,never never leave your new tubes in the box!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Bud is correct on never leave the tubes in the box. If you leave the tubes in the box for an extended period of time, they will crack where the tube is folded. Take them out of the box and put enough air in them to give them shape - it only takes a few pounds of pressure.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 11:51 am:

Whether you stick with those wheels or decide to go "correct", there are several good sources for new tires. Your closest would be Lucas Classic Tires in North Long Beach.

I second what Roger said about Chaffin's. Glen and Dave are very helpful guys and will have most of what you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

If the out side of the rim measures about 24" then it is a 30X 3 or 30X3 1/2 If the out side of the rim measures about 22" it will be a 450-475 21. I think the 30" measurement is aprox out side dimension and the 3 or 3 1/2 will be the width and with the 21" they use the bead size and 4.5" to 4.75" added radius height. Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Actually a 30 X 3 1/2 rim measures 23".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 04:32 am:

Rim measurements are from the inside of the tire bead where it contacts the rim, not the outside of the rim. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Mendez on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 02:04 am:

Is 30 the overall meaurement of the tire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 09:25 am:

Yes, that's the old style of naming a tire - giving the approximate outer diameter. Used mostly on clincher tires that didn't have steel wires in the bead, so the inner diameter at the rim could be stretched somewhat. Though it has been used for bicycle tires also and they usually have wire beads.

So the 21-4.50" balloon tires has about the same outer diameter - the math is: 21" rim plus two times the tire height 4.50" is 30" outer diameter. For clinchers you take two times the tire height from the outer diameter, that'll give the rim diameter => 30 - (2x3.50) = 23" (24" rim for 30x3").

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration