Axial clearance camshaft Model-T 1920

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Axial clearance camshaft Model-T 1920
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christian Petersson on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 10:39 am:

I have axial clearance of approximately 0,02 inch in the camshaft when the timing gear cover is off and only timing gear is mounted on the camshaft. Is this ok or what shall I do, please?
/Christian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Christian
I think you may find this find this to be too much. If it is, you will get a "knock " that will make you think it is rods. The difference is it will be somewhat random. It also will not get worse, just kind of stay the same. It is caused by the timing gears bouncing end to end.
You can buy a thrust washer kit to deal with this. Fortunately (or at least for me) I have never had to use one, but I know others have

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

Välkommen till forumet, Christian :-)
Om du är på Facebook kan jag rekommendera en svensk T-fordgrupp som heter "Ford Model T Forum Sweden"

And now back to your question in english :-)
Ford recommended max 0.004" axial play, see this older thread for suggestions: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/365830.html?1370390123

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christian Petersson on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:15 am:

Hello!

Ok, thanks for the assistance and suggestions of other forum to join:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration