OT - Tow Vehicle Tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Tow Vehicle Tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 10:55 am:

I recently purchased an almost new tow vehicle that still had the original tires.

I noted to the sales associate that they were nearing the end of their life and I would need new tires to buy the vehicle and safely tow with it.

He said that was no problem, they had tires in stock and would replace all four with new ones.

These new ones are IRONMAN tires made in Taiwan.

I never heard of them before and still think I need new tires.

Has anyone used these tires for any length of time and found them to be safe for a tow vehicle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Never heard of them. See reviews here:

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Hercules/IRONMAN+iMOVE

Some like them some don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

James, I was told rule of thumb with trailer tires is they should be replaced every 5 years regardless of mileage. I do that with mine and I have never had a blow out due to wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

James - In my experience, any time a dealer that's trying to sell you a vehicle promises "new tires", you can bet they're gonna' be "cheapies"! Personally, I'd ask the dealer what the value of his proposed "new tires" is, and just knock that much off of the selling price of the vehicle, and make your own choice about what tires to put on the vehicle. Of course the tire cost allowance he quotes won't be near enough to cover full cost of the tires you eventually purchase, but at least you'll know whatcha' got! FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Part II to the replace every 5 years.
Make sure they are fully aired up. A low tire will build up heat and blow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Also be sure the stems are new. I lost 2 (not at the same time) nearly new tires due to failed stems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

For a tow vehicle ...

Assuming it takes truck tires ...

The dealer should allow you a fair amount to get new truck tires of your choice that you can purchase directly.

I run Dextero DHT2 LT tires in a 10 ply E load range.

I buy them at Walmart.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

I will also mention ...

My newest F350 CC Dually came w/ a nearly new set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT tires and they are wearing very well.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

What I will NEVER,I did mean to capitalize that, buy again is a Faulken tire.I bought 6 brand new 1's locally and within 2 years they had age cracked . Of course the dealer left me holding the bag. They have all of 600 miles on them since 2009 and they are cracked now pretty bad. Within 2 years they should not have cracked,and the 4 that a friend bought for his truck at the same time,lasted less than 20,000 miles. wore slap out treadwise.
These were 16 inch tires for a 78 f350 and a 92 f250.
For my 91 pickup I wound up with some lesser brand tire,can't remember what but they are doing well.Nationals or something like that.
Cooper is by far a good tire for the dollar. Michelin is what is used on our fire trucks. I am on the board and we are asked to vote on which of 3 bids for each set. We have went thru to many of those Goodyears that we can get at the states cost. not worth the aggravation.Just get the best 1's.On a fire truck they age out and crack up before they wear out anyhow. I bet some farmer makes out like a bandit when we trade out tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

I recently made a deal with a guy that owns the tire shop down the street to trade him a flathead Ford engine for a new set of tires for my car hauler trailer. I thought the deal was for Mastercraft. He put HI-SUN on it. He said run em if you don't like em I'll replace them but the Mastercraft will be Chinese too. So I'm running them. I'm not happy but I'm running them. Been less than a year.

I do have to admit it really pulls nice with those on it. Far better than the Yokahama Geolanders that I pulled off. The big difference in pickup tires and trailer tires -- so I'm told -- is that the trailer tires run 65-80 lbs depending on load and the Geolanders were running 55.

Time will tell and next time I will know exactly what is going on my trailer.

Couple guys say Nexen is good for trailers. Lots of them on expensive horse trailers here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Jim, I bought a Ford Sport Trac recently. Salesman said "We'll put new tires on it." I called Lisacs in Butte and talked to Mark. He said $800 for the tires I wanted. Told the salesman to knock off the $800 and I'd buy the Sport Trac and go get my own tires.

I dunno who is driving that Sport Trac but it isn't me. Mine came from a dealer that said, "We'll knock another $500 off of the price because after driving it it's obvious it's going to need tires and you'd probably rather get them locally." It's a nice Sport Trac. I love it so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:33 am:

Jim, I just bought my second set of those and am very happy with them. 25,000 miles out of the first set and a 70$ rebate on both sets. I still have 2 left out of the first set saved to use at the end of these useful life. This always happens with a dually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 06:53 am:

I've run BF Goodrich LT Rugged Terrain tires on my vehicles. They wear very well and I have never had a failure. I usually get all my tires through Sam's Club and wait until they go on sale to purchase. I have routinely gotten 75K plus miles out of them (mixed driving and towing) with just annual rotating and balancing.

Trailer tires are another story. I always ran Goodyear Marathons in the past, but I am now questioning their quality and reliability. Thinking of changing to Kumho 857 radial trailer tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 07:34 am:

Our 18' enclosed came with Goodyear Marathons and they come with a warning when they have run enough miles? They have a loud Bang!! I think it's kind of sad that we can't seem to build our own Safe tires anymore!!We just bought our second F-250 crew cab and came from Calgary with off shore tires.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 08:00 am:

I just bought a new set of Michelins for my '09 Ford F150. Don't know where they were made. Anyone know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 08:06 am:

Regarding trailer tires ...

After going back & forth - I am back to running ST load range E tires covered by road hazard warranty for free replacement.

I buy at Discount Tire which is also American Tire.

I found the Hartland ST tire lasts longer than the Carlisle ST tire.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 08:13 am:

The parent company that makes Dextero is Giti ...

The are building a new 1.8 million square foot tire plant in South Carolina that will employ over 1700 people ...

@ http://www.heraldonline.com/news/business/article25126588.html

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Richard, the last I knew Michelins were made in France. I used to run them exclusively, but had a bad experience on my '97 back in around '08 and switched to Goodyears. James, that said, I would stick with the "old reliables"...Goodyear, Goodrich, Dunlop. Google how to determine mfg. date on the tire, they're all stamped on the INSIDE of the tire where no one can see 'em easily on their car. But you can of course at the dealer. This way you can tell who's trying to peddle you old tires as being new. It happens more than you think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 08:38 am:

That'S a switch.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration