Tbay....Where Do People Come up With Some Of These Pie In The Sky Asking Prices

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tbay....Where Do People Come up With Some Of These Pie In The Sky Asking Prices
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

This seller has more of a chance of being struck by a meteorite while being gored by a Unicorn then getting $95,000 for this Panel Truck. I guess if your dreaming, DREAM BIG! :-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Other-Original-Gilt-Paint-over-Wood-/111969517966?f orcerrptr=true&hash=item1a11e7418e:g:SbYAAOSwwE5WaiXI&item=111969517966#viTabs_0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

It's certainly a cool piece of Americana but it has been for sale for a long time. I wonder why???!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

Very cool truck but it's a little much for me!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

Maybe it's one of those cases where the wife said he had to sell it and this way he at least gets to say he's trying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Jay - I would think that at least sometimes, a seller has the idea that somewhere, there just might be some "wacko" multi-millionaire out there that just happens to want whatever is for sale (in this case, an original looking "T") and the rich "wacko" who is so rich that he has lost touch with the real value of money, and would just write a check for the selling price without any more thought than most of us would think about paying for a cuppa' coffee. And I gotta' believe that just maybe once in awhile, it actually works! Also, I personally have the attitude that when setting a selling price, you can always "come down", but you can never "go up"! And one more thought,.....I believe most buyers expect the seller to come down a bit in price, and most people enjoy the "feel good" thing when knowing that they actually got the seller to come down a bit,....and besides,.....the buyer can tell the wife what a "good buy" he got! FWIW,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

They watch Barrett Jackson auctions,they watch Antique Road Show,and they hear the word Provenance bandied about then the rusty wheels in their minds start to move to bring up "$$$$" in their eyes and that is all they need to know :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

Yes, this truck has been on TBay before, but I don't remember having a starting price of more than one third of this starting price. Am I wrong? Maybe the truck has been sold since I last saw it on Tbay and every buyer has raised the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

1919 T Ford with boat-tail roadster body, restored from remains of a well known model T cross-country racer. Provenance not complete. Asking only $65,000. There are a couple cars available for sale that I would really like to get.

Seriously, That IS a really nice piece of history known back to when new. But? (like some of you have already said)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

We should all hope he gets his price....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

As time goes on the provenance of a vehicle will be just as important to the value as the year and number of survivors. So do not get to up set if your 1915 does not make the magic $100k. Those fortunate enough to find a "sweaty" original for a song should be very happy. Get all the information that you can - it will help improve the value. If you have a near original vehicle or a well restored - not built from parts - start o collect the history of the vehicle if you can. I would not be to concerned if the car was from an Iowa farm - the important thing is you can show that it was a car of humble owners, and survived. Two wars, a depression, a dust storm and was used on a honey moon.

To give you an example of missing a subtle script - On 12 October 2007 the Swigart Collection Sale by Sothebys included a 1906 Cadillac Model K 4-Passenger Touring, Chassis no. 7327, sold as a
Lot 232. The car was described in part: "This Model K Cadillac has had its tonneau removed and replaced by a wood platform. The conversion was
probably performed by a tradesman or farmer, as there are remnants of lettering on the side spelling out “Huntingdon, PA.” Aside from the
missing tonneau, the body is solid, straight and complete. The fenders are somewhat bent but not creased. The seat material is worn and stuffing is escaping in places, and there are no bottom cushions."

While researching local automobile history, I came across a reference to an early Cadillac and Franklin dealer in Huntingdon Pennsylvania.
Charles Vuille founded the dealership in 1902. By 1908 he was selling 100 cars a year, with a staff of 10. He was in 1910 the third oldest
Cadillac dealer in the United States according to his biographers.

The words on the Sotheby's auction car may well have been the Vuille car dealer's pronouncement where the car had originated in central Pennsylvania, as modern dealers now place their logos on the rear of a car. And not just some random script of a tradesman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

You can have my '26 coupe for a tenth of that price

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Nice vehicle for $9,500 but not for $95,000

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

It's full of oysters that have pearls in them. The oysters were not iced up and they stink real bad. If they were fresh and didn't stink and you could eat them because they were fresh it would be worth even more. You will get your hands dirty and must wear a gas mask but the pearls are very valuable. Then you could afford to sell the truck for what it is really worth. My explanation may indeed be hogwash.

Fast Frank

pig

My regrets to Aaron Griffey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

I feel like what "Tim Eckensviller" said is the case.Happens alot because of a jealous wife that is mad because the car takes to much of the mans time away from her. I personally know of 2 cases of this being done. Works for years! :-).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

I just received notice from eBay: "Don't lose out, Richard.
48 people watched this item in the last week and stock is limited."
Yes "Stock is Limited" and only 6 days 16 hours left.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration