Air Cleaner Success

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Air Cleaner Success
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

I kind of hijacked the hot air pipe thread talking about my recent vintage air cleaner project, so I decided to start a new thread about it.

A few weeks ago, I picked up an antique Clinton lawn tractor air filter on ebay and fabricated an adapter cone out of sheet brass to fit it on my carburetor (a Kingston L4).
A brass support strap runs from a stud on the back of the air filter up to the rear-most manifold stud.

Since the installation, I have taken the car on three ~15 mile drives, and I can report that the car runs at least as well with the filter as it did with the hot air pipe installed. It may be wishful thinking, but it does seem like the car pulls a little better on hills in high gear. I don't usually drive over 30 mph, so I can't tell if the air cleaner is causing a flow restriction at high speed.

One thing I didn't expect was the silencing effect - the engine is somewhat quieter (by Model T standards) with the filter installed.

I'm going to leave the filter on the rest of the summer and fall, then switch back to the hot air pipe when winter closes in. All in all, I'm pleased with how this project turned out. :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

Mark, Thank You for the update.

Also how is the cone held onto the carb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

I'm a newbie to the hobby, but has anyone tried stuffing the hot air tube with mesh screening, nylonn mesh, or a brass scouring pad material to catch large items, but still allow good air flow and still use the hot air function of the tube?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

Chad, the cone is a tight slip fit into the base of the air cleaner. It is a less tight slip fit into the inlet of the carburetor. To help hold it and to seal any leaks, I put a bead of Ultra Black RTV on both ends of the cone before I slipped it into position.

The stud on the end of the air cleaner touches the front of the Hogshead and the brass strap keeps the back of the air cleaner from tipping down. So far it seems to be firmly held in place.

Robert, regarding the mesh in the hot air pipe idea, I considered it, but didn't think it would be effective against dust. The metal mesh air cleaners I have seen are meant to be oiled, and I was worried that the oil would smoke or burn in the hot air pipe. If you decide to try it, please post pictures and report back on how it worked out. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

Update - I took the car on a 16 mile drive today, one day after thunderstorms moved through the area. The ambient temperature was mid 60's and the dew point was around 50 degrees. The roads were dry, with a few puddles remaining on or near the shoulder.

When I got home and opened the hood, I noticed significant condensation around the carb body and throat, but no icing. The water felt cool, but not anywhere near freezing.

Just reporting my observation, for what it's worth. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Mark, how do you like the alternator and is it 6 or 12 volt? I'm considering converting to one myself and would like to hear what you think of them. Also, I never understood how heating the air to vaporize the fuel prior to entering the combustion chamber was a positive thing. It would seem, a cooler, more dense fuel air mixture would be better and would have no problem adequately vaporizing once in the hot combustion chamber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/CARB-FRE.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

The 6V alternator was on the car when I bought it, it works fine. I'm pretty sure it is a Becker alternator.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration