Continuing Radiator Photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Continuing Radiator Photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

I had a heck of a time with the guy at the radiator shop. It all started when I walked in and simply asked if the radiators I brought were going to work. He jump down my shirt for asking such a stupid question. I was just trying to start the conversation and didn't mean anything about his ability or experience with old radiators. I don't know, maybe his wife packed him a S*** sandwich for lunch or something. He is trying to tell me that the first radiator I posted here is a factory radiator. You guys tell me different. The one in question is a McCord radiator. I'll post some more pics as well, Thanks, Rand\popjpeg{633791,}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

Rand, it is not a Ford factory radiator. I would like to see some photos of the side mountings where the radiator sits on the frame. they look a little flimsy in this photograph.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

Rand, maybe the guy thinks its a Ford radiator because its the same size.
Its not a Ford radiator but an aftermarket radiator that's made to fit a Model T.

I will say this though. Finding a good shop to repair old radiators are getting hard to find in this area of central Texas. The radiators made today are mostly aluminum. And that's what their most familiar with.
The older stuff scares the average radiator repair guy for some reason. By the way if your radiator is cooling good your OK. To me it looks to be a good repo that's still in decent shape.
It may still cool pretty well.
It looks to be newer than the original Ford radiators and that's a good sign.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Sounds to me like he doesn't want your business.
Keep looking for a radiator shop.

As Allan says, it is not a Ford Radiator. A Ford radiator core *should* have the support that runs all the way across. You would have to look closely to see if it will work with the radiator in the picture. If it fits, it would make it more better...

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Allan is correct. It may be from a factory, but not the Ford factory. None of the photos you've posted shows a radiator made by Ford for a Model T. From your account of today's adventure I'd say whether you need a new radiator or not, you do need a new radiator shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Some practical advice from personal experience:

Before you take an antique Model T Ford radiator to a shop, clean the exterior as best as possible to get rid of all the road dirt and other crap between all the rows of tubes and fins. Use a stiff wire and/or a dull hacksaw blade to push the dirt out. Also, use a hose and nozzle and force out as much dirt as possible between the tubes and fins, etc.

The radiator shop may tell you that they can get rid of all the crud between the fins, but, in my opinion, it's best to manually get rid of as much as possible yourself prior to bringing it in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

For what it's worth, a brand new Berg radiator is $800-$825. It will look about the same.

I have no personal experience with them.

http://www.bergsradiator.com/modelt.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Let's start over: Does it leak? Does it cool? It might be just fine and with a coat of black spray paint, work and look like new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 12:03 am:

Some may not agree with the following advice, but it is better to be safe than sorry. If your radiator is coated with regular paint enamel lacquer or epoxy, you should remove it and When you paint it, be sure to use black radiator spray paint, formulated specifically for radiators, so as not to inhibit the heat transfer process from the tubes to the fins and out into the air and vice versa. Eastwood, www.eastwood.com, sells a good radiator spray paint. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 06:31 am:

I have fixed a couple radiators that style, If all else checks out it's just a matter of fabricating a brace to wrap around the bottom and come up on each side with ears bent out to mate up with the ones on the side panel 1/8 inch thick strap will do. That will be all the reinforcement it needs. Probably had a bottom strap at one time and the solder came loose. I had rather have the brace and side panels flex somewhat than the core which is what happens on the original design as the through the core strap is helping hold the frame rails together and we all know how much flex there is. KGB KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 07:53 am:

These are Ford black radiators. The upper tanks always have the 'X' pattern, a funnel like inlet, radiator rod bracket soldered to the upper tank and the core at the frame mounts has a solid bar for strength.

The issue with most old radiators is the core, either its passages are blocked that requires the upper tank to be remove and tubes rodded out. Or the fins separate from the tubes due to vibration. Or the tubes (Ford tubes are split formed with a seam) get split and leak.

Have spent hundred dollars chasing weeps and spits in Ford radiators, IMO a waste of $$.

Seeping

You can save $$ if you do it yourself, or spend $$$ and have a radiator shop attempt to fix what tubes are spitting. But know one or more tubes will start leaking, as the material is 80 years old, and been to heck and back....get a new Berg's for strength or a new Brassworks for authentic reproduction and be done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 08:39 am:

One of the big differences between what you have and a original rad is the mounting solid steel cross piece besides all the other points mentioned above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Here's a new Berg's low radiator fresh out of the box. I don't have it on the car yet but it does appear to be very well built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 09:05 am:

I have 3 Berg's radiators and am getting ready to buy my 4th. Gery makes a great radiator - exceptionally well-built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 09:40 am:

I bought a new Bergs radiator for my 24 Coupe. It made all the difference in the world. If the radiator you have pictured wont cool or if you have to get another one buy a new one or at least have a new core installed in a yours. And that's if you can find a good shop that will do it.

You can save yourself time, misery, and money buy getting a new one and be done with it. I bought a good looking original and wasted time and gas trying to find it and to much money cleaning and patching. A big waste of time.

And just because you find a 'good looking' original doesn't mean it will cool. Age and time cause the fins to get loose from the tubes and there goes your cooling efficiency.

The one you have pictured looks pretty good to me. If it were mine I would fabricate a bottom support and install it on your car and see if it will still cool. You may save yourself some money if it will. Maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

If you are going to drive your car, put a good radiator on it. Bergs make great radiators, I have bought several from them for different cars .They will cool in the Arizona desert with nary an issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Thanks for all your advice you all give from your experience. I just want to do the right and best thing. I buy from Eastwood often. I'll order a can of radiator paint. Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

Most original Model T radiators have long since ceased to effectively function as a heat exchanger because the tubes and fins are no longer continuous.
When struggling with a hot running Model T and after paying a radiator shop plenty in an effort to correct the problem I received one of the best pieces of Model T advice ever from Don Lang. He said: "Bite the bullet and buy/pay for the new radiator, amortize the cost over ten years of trouble free driving (cheap) and enjoy your Model T instead of struggling with it. Your family will thank you".
Ron Patterson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

I got the same advice from Don Lang when my first T overheated. I took it and have had fun in the hobby ever since. If you are going to be in the hobby for the long haul then try to see if you can't spread the expense of a new radiator out at least in you mind over a period of time having fun with the T and you will never regret your decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Once you put on a new radiator, make sure you have a good fan so you don't put a hole in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Fred, When I lost a blade I lucked out and only got a hole in the hood. Flying fan blades pack one heck of a wallop.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration