Common Sense Fastener Mounting Screws

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Common Sense Fastener Mounting Screws
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Anyone know what is the common size wood screw to hold these fasteners to wooden top bows or bodies?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Howard, the usual screw is a nickel plated raised head countersunk screw [read oval head]of 4 or 5 gauge and 1/2 to 3/4" long. They should of course, be slot heads.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

Howard-

Use an oval head #5 or #6, depending on the screw manufacturer, about 5/8" long See what fits into the holes.

What year of car?

I'd recommend you use stainless steel if the fasteners are nickel.

If brass, use a stainless screw to put "threads" into the wood, then put in your brass screw. Otherwise you may twist your brass screw in two. Don't ask me how I know this...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/77612.html?1231171692

: ^ )

-Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration