Old Photo - Interesting Demountable Wheels.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Interesting Demountable Wheels.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:25 am:

Quite a number of U.K. T's were fitted with similar demountable wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 07:22 am:

With just two persons on board, that car is really dragging its rear end. The rear fenders are set way too low. The back lip is lower than the front mount at the running board.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 10:30 am:

Allan, there are three people on board. The third one is a baby and does not weigh much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

That poor car just looks very unhappy! With the rear fender clearance, cowl lights pointing at the trees, windshield & side windows askew and odd looking rear body it looks uncomfortable anywhere aft of the firewall.

What's up with those wheels? Why would it make sense to lug around a complete spare wheel rather than just the demountable rim?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

Well Paul, about every car from the late 20's until recently used to haul complete wheels as spares, so there were quite a lot who thought it made sense :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

Seems to me carrying a complete wheel for a spare on a T gives you a 50/50 chance that changing your flat will require twice as much work as would otherwise be necessary. If the spare is a front wheel and you have a rear flat, well you see what I mean......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Paul: This is OT bit I have to tell you about it.
During WW2 we lived on Manchester Ave just south of the road that went to Fullerton. I have not been in Fullerton since I was about 7 or 8 years old.
Well I received a letter from the Fullerton Police Department, stating that my Pickup was involved in a "HIT AND RUN ACCIDENT at some mall in Fullerton. So I called the Officer that was listed on the letter, but she was gone off duty. So I called the next day and was able to talk to her and gave her all the info, that I had not been there. I was lucky that I had a gas bill for that day at an ARCO station date the same day as the suppo9sed accident and it had the day and time on it, so it was for sure that I could have not been in Fullerton and in Redding at the time of the accident. The real strange thin is that the description and license plates matched my truck. Well I never heard another word about it.
Oh happy Days for me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Henry:

All of those wheels are the same size and they are demountable at the hub, just like a modern car. The front/rear discussion isn't relevant.

Plate is riveted to wheel:

Example of front hub:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

Gee, Roger - wouldn't you guess that the complete wooden wheel would weigh more than just the demountable rim?

I just did my wheels last summer and can tell you that those wooden wheels are heavy. The only advantage I can think of is that you do carry a complete spare wheel should you break one on a curb or something.

I have seen these on other British cars of the era so there must have been some good reason for it.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Bill - Our local PD is pretty good about trying to actually solve crimes. I have heard that some departments have backed off from being active. I'm glad to hear you are not in the slammer for a crime you did not commit.

Vintage Paul

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration