Just purchased a Mint 1921 Speedster with a hopped up engine!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Just purchased a Mint 1921 Speedster with a hopped up engine!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 02:08 am:

Hi.
It may take a bit of time to get used to your Forum format!
I just purchased a 1921 Speedster in fantastic shape.
It has a Ruxtell Tranny (sp)with O.D!
It may take awhile for me to learn how to drive it.
Anyone know of very good Videes that show the process.
Thank You.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 04:48 am:

Mike;
Didn't know Ruxtell made trannys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 07:20 am:

Richard,
I don't know about Ruxtell, but Ruckstell did for model A Fords, maybe one has been adapted to this speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 07:40 am:

I see your new to the Model T Forum WELCOME and I hope you can get your questions answered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 07:48 am:

Mike, post a few pictures of what you've got and you'll most likely get reasonable answers unlike the 1st reply from Dick. Lots of great knowledge and there are a few others from your area as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Hi Mike, Welcome to the "Wonderful World of Model T's". Please post some photos if you can. They need to be resized to below 250KB to post. I usually try to stay around 225 KB. There are many here that can help answer any questions you may have. Most folks are really nice and the occasional "grumpy old fart". There should be someone who can "chime in" with a video. or you can look on U-Tube. There are some driving technique videos there. The Ts are a "different experience" as to driving, but one that is easy to learn. There will be a short "learning curve" to go thru. Post where you live. A general area is good enough, There is probably someone near you that could be of help. I believe the "Ruxtell Tranny" you mention is actually a two speed rear axle. I believe we just have a difference in terminology. The gear shift lever sticking thru the floor board should hook to a rod going back to a shift arm on the rear axle. Again, "Welcome" and hope to hear more from you ... Have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Hey, why the misunderstandings? Usually we are much more welcoming to newcomers ;)

Ruckstell was a two speed rear axle for Model T's and for anyone sitting in the driver's seat there isn't much difference if the extra gears can be found between the engine and the driveshaft or in the rear axle - still an extra stick from the floor.

Though, the Ruckstell added an underdrive, so if you wanted to get any over drive effect out of it, you had to change the standard 3.64:1 Ford gears in the rear axle to something like 3.25:1 or even 3:1 which got more drivable with an accessory underdrive for the hills.

Driving the car is easy, just read the instruction manual and try on a deserted street until you have unlearned any previous stick shift tendencies to depress the clutch pedal fully to get a neutral - in a Model T you just press it to the middle to get "neutral", fully down and you're in low lurching forward..

Keep cool, try it out, you'll soon find it more and more fun :-)
http://www.mtfca.com/books/21manual.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 10:31 am:

Here's a good thread on how to use the Ruckstell - it isn't covered in the owners manual..
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/468224.html?1407442477

Youtube is full of videos showing how to drive a T - take a pick and look at several. There are various ways to do it and the cars are all a bit different after almost 100 years :-)
https://goo.gl/KjeviQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Mike, Google the Foothills Model T club in Calgary. They will know someone who can help you out. Great bunch of guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Mike
I live at Calgary and have played with speedsters for over 30 years. I may know your new "toy"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Welcome Mike

How about a image of your beast ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

Welcome Mike,

I bought my '20 fairground racer (speedster) a few years ago. It's a Rajo C-35 head, Warford 3-speed, early Ruckstell 2-speed monstrosity.

I finally, legally got it on the street last night after many days driving in a field and park behind the house. There are still adjustments to be made, but it's getting better and better.

It takes a little while to get used to driving a T, and it's much like driving a tractor, It's VERY important to plan your stops, and to be ready for the unexpected. I routinely forget use Ford Hi for deceleration braking; and if I manage to remember, then I'm late removing it from hi before applying the mechanical brakes (AC).

The car is a blast. I haven't yet run it in Ford hi/Warford hi/Ruckstell direct; nor am I should I'll ever feel the need to -- the car is crazy fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

There are some videos on Youtube that may be of interest and some pointers in driving a "T." Speedsters are cool and Congratulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joerg Walther - FarFarAway (Germany) on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:57 am:

Welcome Mike !

I learnt driving from the helpful videos on the great you tube channel of Mitch from Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOxVvWyO5wk&list=PL74smD_5SAKah-fCpk1c3vuO72Ul4e rSX

I also learn the ratio being 10 % driving / 90 % maintenance and keeping the T running ;-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration