Motometer dog bone

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Motometer dog bone
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 08:51 am:

Acquired a box of radiator caps. In the group was a used Motometer dog bone cap. The cap was used but without the meter. In the centre is a set screw with the following "Remove to Install, Boyce Motometer" The screw is attached to a flat nut with "Patent Pending." No date is given. The dog bone measures 5 inches by 1 15/16 inches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 09:26 am:

I wish I had that plug for my original dog bone, I would take my repro meter out and put the plug in!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 09:29 am:

George would you part with this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 10:31 am:

James - I will keep you in mind when I am ready to dispose of the dog bone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Thank you George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

That is really neat. I have a couple of those dog bones, but NEVER have seen one with an original Boyce plug. Great find!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

I am glad to see that one. I had forgotten about them. The rubber in this one is rock hard but could be replaced. This is another item that could be reproduced but probably not enough demand to make it worth while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

James

Send me a PM

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Incredibly rare for some little detail that was made in the several millions. I would almost bet that in all my years in this hobby, all the shows I have gone to, all the cars I have seen on tours, swap meets and antique shops. I wouldn't be surprised if I have seen ten thousand original dog-bone and winged accessory caps. All those, I have seen maybe eight or ten of those original plugs. Slightly more common, are the "ball" plugs, I actually owned one of those years ago. They stand up about an inch, and knock out to create the hole for a motometer. I have probably seen about a dozen of them over the years.
Paige offered the motometer as an option from the dealer. And some last couple years of Paige offered a dash gauge for engine temperature. I have a fairly nice original Paige cap that has a nice wreath pattern around it, with a floral design in the top center designed to be drilled out to add a motometer. Just an interesting different way things were done at that time.

Not too many people crazy enough to really want one of those plugs (I am one of them), but probably several of our regulars here would. So sadly, they are not worth much. In fact, I have heard of hobbyists buying a cap because it fit their car, and then throwing out the special plug so they could put in the motometer. (Grrrrr!) So if you don't desire to keep it? Do try to find a good home for it.

Thank you George J D and all!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Dan I sent you a PM I hope it worked. Thanks James

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration