Steering column rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Steering column rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

1925 coupe, gears and pins worn out, do I replace with just the 4:1 gear kit or go with the 5:1 complete with new shaft? The gear case does not have the longer slot for the long pin so will the 5:1 set work? I had read something in the archives that this can be a problem. The cost is not so much an issue but it has to be fixed and I want it the right way. I'll order the parts today if I can make up my mind as to be the best way. The top is not on my coupe yet so pulling the shaft out was not a problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Thomas, you can go to the MFTCA home page and click on parts suppliers, then go to Texas A&T parts. (now Birdhaven).

Go to the steering section and you will find the steering gear kits along with what they will fit and instructions on how to install them. You probably could contact them with any additional questions.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

To replace the 4:1 with the 5:1 you need to replace the steering shaft and steering wheel stub shaft as well. The center to center on the pins is different and the steering stub shaft gear teeth has a different count.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

I was thinking what Mark said but was not 100% certain. You can't just change parts. It is necessary to replace the whole works if you want to change ratio. It seems I've heard a couple of horror stories about things locking up when it's done wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

If it's a '25, then most of them got 5:1 from the beginning. If not, then maybe it's a very early '25 made during the autumn of '24?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

You 'll need to change the gear case for 5:1 style, it has longer slot than the '24-'21 version that is for the 4:1 gears. Needed for the arc. Don't try to mess and mix Ford steering gear or shaft parts, can be real issue, the Ford steering isn't fancy to begin with, don't add trouble.

Same with the steering shaft, needs to be 5:1 style with wider set pinion shaft. Take care with a new repro 5:1 shaft. They are made repro style, with a round welded on platform for the pinion pins.

One owner called me recently with install issues, seems the gears were locking. Problem traced to the new shaft, with that welded platform just slightly tilted off, caused the impingement at a couple of places in the gear case. Maybe just a fluke, but should be aware. The new gears I have used from them are just fine. But I like to use Ford steering shafts.

5:1 on the left below:

Reproduction shaft top

Ford forged topped shaft

Repro gears going in a Ford gear housing, 5:1, with the wider groove, and with Ford steering shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Thanks Dan, I think I have seen your pictures before this or at least others from a few years ago. Doing some further search today I came to realize that the gear case would need to be replaced to so I'll keep what I have and replace with the new pinion gear set. My car may have an earlier chassis than a '25, it does have the 4:1 gears now and I have a '23 motor and the rear is early with the higher fill plug.The lower half of the gear case has good teeth so I'll just go with the original 4:1 parts. The rebuild of this car has snowballed, imagine that !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration