Need Advice; Metal 'Blown Out' Around #4 Exhaust Port

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need Advice; Metal 'Blown Out' Around #4 Exhaust Port
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Howdy Friends, The pain-in-the-butt du jour I'm faced with today concerns an annoying exhaust leak. When I changed both manifolds I saw it. I've always used glands and copper crush washers but I noticed a small amount of missing cast iron at about 11 o'clock aspect on the #4 exhaust port. And this is where the annoying pft, pft, pft is coming from when the engine is running. Has anyone repaired this shortcoming with one of the metal pastes or JB?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

A new Chevy 350 valve seat,properly installed will fix it right up. (probably for longer than you will need it.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

Jack,
I don't think he means the valve seat in the block. I think he's referring to the port in the head that seats to the manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Henry,

Same repair either place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

BTDT. It works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

Ah ha. I was thinking you meant installing it in the exhaust valve port.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:45 pm:

This '26 block of mine was too chewed up by hot exhaust over the years, running on 3 cyl with a stuck exhaust valve. Both exhaust valve port and the manifold port gone. Not a rare enough block to throw $$ at. This block rests in a corner of the shed now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

That's it Dan. The #4 exhaust port in the block. Not the exhaust valve seat. I wish my exhaust port looked as good as Dan's. The engine is good and strong. Okay uncle Jack; how am I going to install this chev 350 valve seat IN THE CAR. Isn't there any cheap quick fixes like JB or something similar?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

George,just take it out,fix it once, and do all of them,resurface exhaust area, and you will never have to do it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

George

Sent You a PM

I agree with Jack, fix it once. But if you would like to try the product I can send you the kit, it is very expensive for no more than you would use. You could be the tester. LOL Of course you could report the results, it would be interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

I never thought about putting a valve seat ring in to repair those, don't see why it wouldn't work and probably last beyond our lifetimes. Neat, gotta remember that for "when."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Here is what we did to one like that. A machinist, cleaned up the hole and made sleeves to press in. The manifold actually held everything in place when it is bolted up it pushes the sleeve in. I haven't heard any reports that it failed. That was several years ago.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Thanks for sending the product you told me about Mike. I guess I'll install a gland ring in the #4 exhaust port and slather some of that in the 'blown out' area, let it set and file it flat. Hopefully I'll have a good report to make to ya'll later in the week. Actually, this fits in well with my restoration philosophy "grind it to shape, file it to fit and paint it to match"...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration