Help with brakes and more

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help with brakes and more
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

My 1926 touring was purchased a couple of months ago. I know very little about the car but I'm discovering it was hastily reassembled. The car fortunately has Rocky Mountain brakes but unfortunately the parking brake was not included in the reassembly. I have boxes of parts that came with the car and have found new brake linings and various other brake parts. Can someone point me in the right direction regarding how to get this all put back together so the car does not roll backwards.
I appreciate all the information I've gained from this forum. I am checking the rear end to see if brass or Babbitt thrust washers are in use. The engine is pulled to replace brass screws in the magnet keepers because I discovered a broken Head during an oil change. I imagine I will pull the head while the Engine is out to see what I have going on. What types of things should I be checking for in regards to safety and reliability? I am excited to get on the road but want to make sure the car is a safe as possible. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Rick, i definitely would start with the rear end and work from there forward. As you know, no brakes in the world will help you if you have Babbitt and it decides to let go. If you can, post some pics of the parts you have and maybe we can decipher what is needed to complete the job. I have R/M brakes on my T and one of the hardest things i have found is adjusting them to be in sync with the parking brake, and adjusting them to work in step with the trans brake all at once. It takes a little fiddling and some patience, but the results are well worth the effort. Best of luck, and keep us updated on your progress.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration