Headlight

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Headlight
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 02:34 am:

Hi

Why does one of my headlights glass have ford script at top and the other at the bottom? ( lettering are both right way up before a someone's it's upside down!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 04:17 am:

Do they look the same otherwise? Same Ford script on both? One in open one in oval?
Some early '28 model A lenses look very similar to the model T "H" lens and can be made to work in a T headlamp (doesn't really fit, but can be made to work).
Perhaps you have something like this?

Another possibility would be a badly made reproduction lens could have had the Ford script put on incorrectly.
Back in the '70s, several people were producing lenses for model Ts. But they were not making them correct in order to avoid FoMoCo charging huge royalties. Some had no script, others had altered scripts, often the fluting was different than the originals.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 04:36 am:

They look the same otherwise, the glass certainly seems old and both lenses seem of similar age, as are the reflectors. Glass is pretty difficult to age just going by wear on the front and edges of the lens and very slight discolouration.

They both have a H molded on then on them, will try and upload a picture.

Not something I had noticed before and only when replacing a bulb did I see it !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Seems odd, all the lens have been made the same, with the 'Top' engraving on the reverse side above the Ford script and 'H'. The 'Top' indicating which way to fit the lens in the rim, so the flutes are vertical, and the flat surface facing out.

And, interesting, would like to do more research but so far seems Ford was facing a challenge with the clear 'Green Visor' lens as many states did not like the glare from those and the paint could wear off and be a clear lens again, against laws being issued at the time.

Hudson Glass company came out with a fluted low cost lens, and for me I assume (no proof yet) that Ford then contacted with Hudson Glass to mfg the lens for Ford. Therefore that 'H' on the Ford fluted lens is for 'Hudson'.

Hudson Glass Co. lens for the Model T, marked 'Hudson'. These were aftermarket by Hudson, as their dealers couldn't sell the Ford script ones made OEM to Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

"H"! "Hudson"! Make a new connection every day.
Thank you Dan T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration