1909 T FS Hemmings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1909 T FS Hemmings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:34 am:

FYI

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/model-t/1827090.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:46 am:

Nice car. It would have been built by December 1 or 2, 1909 according to the serial #, making it a 1910 model year car according to Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:22 am:

What a beautiful car. I wonder though if the frame/axles were actually black by then? I'd love to have this beauty. (sigh)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:25 am:

The serial number on the sign is not the same as the number on the car?
Is the sign for a different car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:37 am:

Good catch Herb. I wonder what's up with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:45 am:

I only 59k short.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:54 am:

Mac's Antique Auto parts car, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

It looks pretty correct and very nice. If it is a genuine '10 that price should be right for a buyer with enough money. I think I have Ed in C beat, I am about $70K short.
I think the chassis was still matching body color in December '09'
Beautiful car.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Should be green. For that kind of cash I hope they find someone who just loves red!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer,Woodstock,Ontario,Canada on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

My son & I saw the car a couple of years ago at Mac's in Lockport,NY.We drove over there to pickup some T parts.It is a nicely restored car.But I prefer our 1909 Canadian built T which is a previously enjoyed car(older restoration).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Royce is of course correct. By December of 1909, Ts were being painted mostly 1910 colors which should be green for the touring. I think all the red touring cars for 1909 were red body over red chassis, but I am not even certain about that.
As for the '10 colors, I have read different references. Some have said chassis was body color, some have said chassis was black. I do not know which is correct. Royce? Hap? Anyone else claim to know for sure?
Thanks all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

I do love red, and even if it is not correct I would still love to own it. Too bad I don't have the $.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:59 am:

The encyclopedia says -

"From the June 1, 1909 Ford Times:

"An article titled "A Question of Color" describes how all cars will be Brewster Green with black trimming and a red stripe when the present stock of red Tourings and gray Roadsters have been shipped.

This article has been quoted in many sources as the "proof" that this was the beginning of the "green" era. Actually, green cars had been built much earlier; this article really indicated the discontinuance of the red and gray bodies, and the standardization of the green color on all cars."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Thank you Royce! I did not realize that it was quite that early.
Thanks again!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

Notice how nice and white the tires are!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 05:50 am:

Wayne,

A great source for information on cars #1,119 to approximately # 70,920 are what Bruce McCalley referred to as the shipping invoices and the Benson Ford Archives refer to as Vehicle Production Records. Anyone can order a copy of an invoice from the Benson Ford Archives for engine numbers in that range see: http://www.thehenryford.org/research/productionRecords.aspx The cost is $20 and it helps support the museum & archives. And no, most of us are not going to order one if we do not have that car.

But Bruce gives us a summary of those shipping invoices on pages 475 to 499 of his book “Model T Ford” and also his CD version. Initially he looked at every invoice, then every 10th invoice, then every 100th invoice (ref page 475). And he included in the book about every 3 to 5th car initially; then every 25th car starting with #2050, then every 100 car (with many extras thrown in when he saw something interesting).

The first green touring listed was # 1,767 Mar 24 1909 on page 480. He has a comment (First Green Trouing?).
The next green touring listed that I saw was #2,547 Apr 29, 1909 on page 481.
And both red and green tourings are listed for a while.
The last red touring he has listed is #5,300 Jun 21, 1909

Again he was only listing every 100th car by that time. So there might have been another red touring after that. As far as #1,767 on Mar 24, 1909 being green – from that question mark – Bruce must have thought something was strange about that entry. They did sometimes mark the wrong block or write in the wrong entry etc. But they were also producing Green Laundalets, Town Cars, and Coupes .

As for the chassis color – that appears to be either body color or black depending on the reference.

The “MTFCI Judging guidelines Sixth Edition” for 1909 models says: “ item 110, Chassis: Painted body color. After July chassis painted black.

The “MTFCI Judging guidelines Sixth Edition” for 1910 models says: “item 110, Chassis: Painted black or possibly body color.

Bruce at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1909.htm for 1909 after first 2500 cars: COLORS: Touring: Red, Green, and a few Gray. Runabout: Gray. Town Car and Landaulet: Green. Coupe: Green. All cars were Brewster Green after June 1909. Fenders, aprons, running board, chassis and running gear were painted body color.

Bruce at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1910.htm for 1910 states: COLORS: All cars were painted Brewster Green, an all-but-black color. Fenders, aprons, running boards, chassis and running gear were also painted body color.

And Bruce’s comment about Brewster Green – “an all-but black color” indicates it may have been hard to tell.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

Thank you Hap! You are the best!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration