Trivia: somebody said today henry gave a bag of wood ash with new cars....Kingsford Charcoal is associated with Henry.......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Trivia: somebody said today henry gave a bag of wood ash with new cars....Kingsford Charcoal is associated with Henry.......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:53 am:

For those who did not know this like I did not, might find it interesting.

Somebody the other day said Henry gave customers a free bag of coal to new car owners. I do not know if this is true, but could have been.

Per Wikipedia:

History[edit]

In the early 1920s, Ford had a large plant in Kingsford, a town named after Henry Ford's cousin. Henry Ford was always looking for new ways to combine resources. One day as the Model T cars were coming off the assembly line, Ford noticed many wood scraps being discarded. He proposed that all wood scraps were to be sent to his chemical building to be made into charcoal.

Kingsford is a brand of charcoal used for grilling, along with related products. The brand is owned by The Clorox Company.

The Kingsford Company was formed by Henry Ford and E.G. Kingsford during the early 1920s. Charcoal was developed from Ford Motor Company's factory waste wood scrap. The Kingsford Company was formed when E.G. Kingsford, a relative of Ford's, brokered the site selection for Ford's new charcoal manufacturing plant. The company, originally called Ford Charcoal, was renamed in E.G.ís honor.

Kingsford Charcoal is made from charred softwoods, pine, spruce etc. then mixed with ground coal and other ingredients to make a charcoal briquette. As of August 2000, Kingsford Charcoal contains the following ingredients:[1]
Wood char
Mineral char
Mineral carbon
Limestone
Starch
Borax
Sodium nitrate
Sawdust

Today, the Kingsford Products Company remains the leading manufacturer of charcoal in the US, enjoying 80 percent market share. More than 1 million tons of wood scraps are converted into charcoal briquets annually.[2]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:55 am:

picture from Kingsford web site

https://www.kingsford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/kfd-kingsfordcountry-09_081 2_004.jpgrd website

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Actually pretty common knowledge for collectors of Ford books and memorabilia. Always something new to learn about the Ford legacy and history. Some things fact and others fiction! :-)
Now, where did I store my Kingsford Charcoal Cooker??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 10:22 am:

Remove the rd from the url and the link will cooperate
https://www.kingsford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/kfd-kingsfordcountry-09_081 2_004.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 11:17 am:

My first attempts at outdoor cooking in Spain ended up with a lot of raw food. I subsequently found that there is a big difference between the charcoal briquettes I had always used in the States (like Kingsford makes) and the wood charcoal available here. The briquettes take some time to start up and then they burn for quite a long time. The wood coal burns very quickly and after leaving it burning to "warm up" there was no heat left to cook with! I learned to buy three or four bags at a time to get through a BBQ. :D

Interesting story about Kingsford, I didn't know about it. Thanks for posting Robert.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration