What brand is this wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What brand is this wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Can anyone tell me the manufacturer of this wheel?wire wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

How about a back and side view of the wheel center?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

I'm going to guess Houk or Dayton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

I vote Budd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Jim we need better photos of the center section.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Knapp on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

No need for more photos. The only such period manufacturer that used the little round enclosed caps over each drive pin was Hayes. Thus you have a "3-Pin Hayes" accessory wheel for Model T.

The drive pin holes have often, by now, worn to be too loose and now need to be welded up and be remachined before the wheel can be used. The 30x3-1/2" rim has the same concerns as on a wood wheel, needing to not be rusted out or sharp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Tim is right, I run 3 pin Hays on my speedster. They are the same as in your photo. Pm me a price if they become available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

I now see what you guys are talking about with the 3 pins drive. The shape of the hub looks a lot like a Dayton. Wasn't the other wheel that was similar to Dayton the Houk? Maybe they all bought hubs from the same place???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 11:52 pm:

Not Budd they do not have drive pin holes as shown

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 11:59 pm:

I bought 11 wheels and most of them are like this one. 2 of them are like the picture I am now posting. One of the 2 has a hubcap that says Overland. Can anyone tell me what manufacturer made them. I also got 4 hubs with the 11 wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 12:02 am:

I am going to sell them when I find what a fair price is for them is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Knapp on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 02:09 am:

The 2 rusty ones you have now posted were made by Budd, and were original on Overland. Those Budd/Overland wheels have often been adapted for use on Model T through the years. There are still people looking for these parts to complete sets for Model T, so they are desirable to those people.

You also show one 3-Pin Hayes hub and hubcap. What does the I.D. plate on that hubcap say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Knapp on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 02:45 am:

Verne, you are correct. Both Dayton and Houk made 6-Pin drive wheels for Model T. The diameter of the Houk #3 (size) hub is slightly smaller than the diameter of the Dayton hub, and the two brands of wheel will not interchange on Dayton and Houk hubs. The hubcaps will not interchange either. Houk #3 hubs, caps, and wheels are far less common (at least out here on the West Coast) than are the Daytons.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration