OT - Sometimes, the work exceeds expectations, and price doesn't

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Sometimes, the work exceeds expectations, and price doesn't
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

Often, (similar to other threads), I'm surprised by the cost of repairs and parts, the time required, and the quality of work.

However, sometimes, I'm pleasantly surprised. This is one of those times.

Our Model K transmission brake was getting worse and worse, to the point where I used the hand brake to stop, and the foot (trans.) brake just to hold in place. Thursday I finally broke down and took the reverse band off. Sure enough, the lining was worn and glazed to the point it needed replacing.

I took the band to "Lincoln Clutch and Brake" in Lincoln, NE., not knowing if they would do the work or not. I've had truck and tractor clutch and brake work done, and they always did a nice job.

I took the band to the parts/service counter about 10:30 yesterday morning. The fellow working the counter said yes, they could replace and rivet the lining.

Expecting the work to take two to three weeks (looks like I'm just using the emergency brake for a while), I asked how long it would take? The parts counter gentleman thought a few seconds, and said "it should be ready to go by 1:00 this afternoon.

I about fell over...........

I was a little skeptical, and thought I would give them until Monday, so went back home (about a 30 minute drive). At 12:00 noon, they called. I expected to hear that they didn't have the right material, or of some other problem. Instead, the voice on the phone said "it's ready to go....." The cost? $73

Back to Lincoln, then last night back on the car for fitting. This is the band with new lining. They also cleaned up and painted the band:

Installed:

And three satisfied customers at the coffee shop this morning:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

I just love this K!

I'll just have to dream about owning one though these posts (please more videos!)

and I am so happy that you enjoy her as much as you do.

Okay back to my 20 touring slow speed bracket adjustment so I can go for a spin with the kids tomorrow...

Have a great weekend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Glad you had a pleasant experience! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Rob,

Thanks for sharing one of the good outcomes! So often I as well as others forget to point out the good things that are happening. And thank you also for helping to recruit some potential future old car drivers.

A little thread drift -- is there a body maker's letter stamped on the front seat frame, bottom of the rear seat, or somewhere else? We know that Beaudett (also spelled Beaudette and referred to as Pontiac in most of the Ford USA documents) supplied all the 1908 Model S Roadster bodies (Mother-in-law body). I was wondering if you know who supplied the Model K Roadster bodies.

Again thank you so much for all your support to our hobby and for being such a great ambassador.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

By chance, did they ask what it was off of ?

The reason I ask .... I local guy was in a steel shop, holding a broken part from his pre-T
Ford (can't remember which model) and asking the counter guy for some steel he could machine
to recreate the part in his hand. Someone else in line asked what the part fit and just to be
funny (or maybe not ?) he ambiguously replied "Oh-four Ford".

The guy asking got an astonished look on his face and said "I've got an oh-four Ford and
I've never seen that part on it ANYWHERE !"

The guy with the part softly replied "That's NINETEEN-OH-FOUR, not twenty-oh-four".

The look on the other guy's face was priceless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

LOL! Good one Burger!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Hap,
We found one mark, on one of the front seat base boards. I was unable to make out the stamp, as it is into the grain of the end of a board. I've been looking for photos I took of it and can't seem to find them. Next time the front seat is off I'll take more pics. There is a number "30" stamped on one seat base board:

My assumption has been that all K bodies (U.S.) were built by Wilson, based in part by this:

I've read that Ford Canada K bodies were supplied by Canadian shareholder and Ford dealer Robert Gray, later part owner of the Gray-Dort Canadian car maker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Rob,

Thank you so much for the additional documentation. I would say that clearly shows that Wilson was the provider for the 1907 Model K bodies. And with an order for 15,000 bodies -- the Model N Runabout and Model R Runabout bodies of 1907 would have clearly been from Wilson also.

But for he 1908 Model S Roadster body, Trent found documentation that they were all produced by Beaudett. On the underside of the original Model S Roadster rear seats is stamped a "B" with a body number.

With the low production numbers of the K Roadster, I would suspect but I do not have any documentation yet, that Ford would have requested the same company that was producing the K touring bodies to also do the K Roadster bodies. I would guess that some of the lower body sills etc. would be the same or similar between the two bodies. But that also is just a guess (theory sounds nicer). If you run across any information about who produced the K roadster bodies or even the 1906 or 1908 K touring bodies please let us know.

And thank you for all your help and support to our hobby.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration