The Tea Ladies

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: The Tea Ladies
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

My vehicles have been adopted by the Tea Ladies. They meet once a month at the Stillwater Mansion for High Tea. In some ways it is a little like the guys getting together at the swap meet. Only completely different. The White Bus wouldn't start at 35 degrees so I used the '09 T to take the Ladies on excursion to the antique store. It took several trips. Later it was warm enough and I brought the Bus to take them back to the Mansion. They get a little wild in the cool air and without supervision. Or maybe it is the ride in old cars. Waving and calling out to folks along the way is good fun. 3 hats blew off and had to be retrieved. It's a great change of pace from scrubbing parts in the Garage.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Looks like a long Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

I hope the driver remembered to be a gentleman at all times!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Is the lady in the wheelchair smoking a cigar?

My first thought when I saw these pics was the Monty Python sketch on the outlaw biker grannies... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

The driver tried to be a gentleman. No cigar for the Lady in the chair. Funny shadows from the hat feathers I suppose. That Bus load of Ladies would have given Monty Python a lot to think about believe me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dana A. Crosby in Glendale, Az on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Very nice and civilized too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Rich, Some guys have all the fun! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 11:59 pm:

I had to look that up since I'm not a Brit. :-)

High tea (also known as meat tea) usually refers to the evening meal of the working class, typically eaten between 5 pm and 7 pm. "Dinner" refers to the main meal, which they would take in the middle of the day.

High tea typically consists of a hot dish, followed by cakes and bread, butter and jam. Occasionally there would be cold cuts of meat, such as ham salad. The term was first used around 1825, and "high" is used in the sense of well-advanced (like high noon, for example) to signify that it was taken later in the day than afternoon tea; it was used predominantly by the working class and in certain British dialects of the north of England and Scotland.

In Australia any short break for tea in the afternoon is referred to as "afternoon tea". As a result, the term "high tea" is used to describe the more formal affair that the English would call "afternoon tea".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 01:44 am:

Richard,

Looks like you were having a lot of fun and being a great help.

For those of us that don't recognize you "bus" would you please post a link to a previous discussion or perhaps a few more details such as year, make, factory body, factory chassis etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 07:12 am:

I think there may of been a fox in the hen house but then I had to correct myself and say there is an Eagle in the hen house!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 07:36 am:

Thanks Hap. Here are some Bus links:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/458384.html
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/279365.html?1333594494
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/386979.html?1379248008
I must admit that I felt a little out of place with being the only guy there. It was a unique opportunity.
Thanks Ken for the explanation. I wasn't aware. This may have been better stated as Morning Tea than the High Tea that they usually do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:21 am:

All I can say is wow! _Great photos of elegant ladies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

If you have taken new folks in your Touring I think you will agree that there is a contagious sense of adventure and camaraderie generated in the riders. Put them in costumes and with a little bit of cool breeze for exhilaration, even better. Then make it 3 back seats instead of 1 and you really have something. There were even shouts that might have come from a hundred year old Bordello. Having to drive and watch the traffic I could only hear and feel it from behind but is was very enjoyable. That and the looks and attention from onlookers and other drivers makes it a truly worth while thing to do.
A couple of years ago we did a Sweet 16 Tour for a friend's Daughter's Birthday. The energy level was a bit higher but the enthusiasm and inhibitions were very similar to the older ladies. A group of guys show a little more reserve but the sense of fun and adventure is still there.
Crossing the Twin Falls bridge near the Evil Knievel jump an Eighty+ year old was leaning forward braving the wind and blurted out "I Feel Like A WildMan!!!" Another magical moment.
It has been a great honor to treat so many people to the old car fun in the Bus. Those of you who have shared these experiences will agree I'm sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

At the Annual Meeting in Boise one of the newer members described the increase in Model T traffic past his Farm around the time of the Centennial Celebration in Richmond. He was struck by the fact that you could hear the voices and laughter before you could see and hear the sound of the motors. "I knew my wife and I had to become part of that." He joined the club and now has 2 Model T's. The Fun we have and the visibility may be our greatest recruiting tool for the Old Car Hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Rich, I just realized the year of your mountain wagon... it has an internal combustion engine! I have lusted after a 1913 White Mountain Wagon; thinking that is what you have made you my hero. Fortunately that 1909 T has kept you secure in that elevated position.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Rich,
Regardless of the car you use, or the age of the group you're entertaining, I seem to recognize a trend.

:-)

You're a good ambassador for our hobby, enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

Terry, the Bus was an affordable pacifier for a Big Brass Monster. I could never afford a Legitimate pre '15 Packard, Pierce-Arrow, etc. A $200 chassis that ran seemed like a good solution. The 18 years to build it was a bit much but the yearly cash outlay for materials was affordable. Neither the Bus or the 1909 T can claim the value they look to have. The trade off is they can be driven and maintained and provide a lot of pleasure to a lot of people. That is enough for me.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Thanks Rob. I was writing when you posted. It is a treat for me to see the wonderful cars that I can't afford or have room for. We all do what we can and hope for the best. I think the forum members have done well at that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:44 am:

Richard,

Thank you for the links showing more of your 1923 White. You did a great job with bringing it back to a beautiful life.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 08:30 am:

Doesn't get any better than that! Well done Richard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 10:03 am:

I do think our T's should be shared with as many people as possible...get in and take pictures, the kids love to squeeze the horn bulb, anyone for a ride!!
I can't believe how many turn down a ride in a 100 year old car in my area. when will you ever get another chance to ride in history

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration