Ford Script Brass Oil Cap Top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford Script Brass Oil Cap Top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

I found this in one of my G'pa's boxes of parts and thought it peculiar. It's a top for the oil cap but missing the part that slides into the filler hole.

Can anyone shed some light on this part?

Not the best photos as I took them with my cell phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

It is a 1913 oil cap Philip. Nice one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Thanks Royce, it appears to be brand new. It was with a box of brass hub caps, coil box switch plate and a Ford script that goes on the radiator.

What would this be worth? Don't have a 13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

I think $125 - $150 to the right guy. It is a fairly rare thing to find in great shape like that one. I don't have a '13 either. At least not anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Ford made two styles that year. Yours appears to be the double Made In USA version. If you look closely, there should be some traces of solder where it was soldered to the lower portion of the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

You are correct Larry, using a magnifying glass I found two small splatters of solder opposing each other on the inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

Look REALLY REALLY carefully for solder remnants. The very first of these fluted caps were soldered in only 2 places but that proved inadequate and they were then soldered in 3 places. It seems that 2 places across from each other would allow the cap to rock back and forth and break the solder connections. If you have only 2 places where it was soldered then you have one of the very first ones.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration