Otis has an older brother in the garage with him now

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Otis has an older brother in the garage with him now
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

This afternoon Otis, our '14 roadster pickup, was joined by "Frank", a 1912 Touring which had belonged to my friend, Royce Peterson. Frank arrived this morning and he and Otis seem to be getting along just fine. The engine casting date on Frank is 11-22-11. I have been talking to Mike Hanson about his '12 touring and I really do like the color of his T. He has given me the paint code for his dark blue and I expect to track down my painter as soon as I can catch him. After seeing and driving the '12 the name Frank just seemed like the way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

John, congrats, that looks like a great car. But I really love that pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

I think both Otis and his older brother have a great home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

So Royce, first "Popeye" was sold, now "Frank", what does your car stable consist of now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

John -- We've seen that car a lot here in years past. I'm glad you're going to correct that hideous color! Very nice car, other than that. And I still like Otis a lot. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Yea, what's going on here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Mark,
Making room for the 1910 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

The "stable" has the 1910, 1914, 1915, 1917, and the 1931 phaeton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 12:15 am:

And a beautiful '10 it is! I saw the pictures on the classified. (At least I think it was the classified? Anyway, beautiful car!)
As neat as it was, I really did not expect you to keep Popeye for very long. But I was surprised to see that you sold your '12! (Even if it was a wrong color?)
Anyway, congratulations on the new car John Mays! And to Royce also.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 01:30 am:

Is that a WRONG color ? I don't know. I am a neophyte, especially on the early cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 01:38 am:

John,

Congratulations on your new Ford. They are all special in their own way. And Otis has a certain look that is enduring to many of us.

Royce,

I agree you found a good home for the 1912. And congratulations on your new 1910 Ford ref: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/629752.html?1459631452

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 06:51 am:

Right now the '12 is the wrong color. My understanding is the correct color for that car is dark blue body with black fenders, running boards and splash aprons. I hope to see my painter this week. When I work out a deal with the painter I will take "Frank" all apart and get started. The car was that color when Royce bought it years ago. However, it really runs great. Took a test drive yesterday and mechanically it needs nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:18 am:

Yes, the correct color for a '12 is "Midnight Blue with French Gray pin striping", according to the MTFCI Judging Guidelines. Wheels should be body color with striping as well. Fenders can be either black or body color. There have been several discussions about paint color codes for modern equivalents of that dark blue color here in the past. (The darker, the better.) Do a google search for "MTFCA Midnight Blue" to pull up links to those threads.

Congratulations on your purchase! :-)

(Message edited by coupelet on April 17, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:37 am:

Hi From Iowa! I know that there are accepted colors, but our early '12 is the same body with 2 piece dash & step side - but is Brewster green!?!? It was restored many years ago in Ill & was painted back to or body color - or so the elderly gentleman who restored her thought? We like her even if some do not accept her appearance!!! Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

So, am I correct to read the above statements that Midnight Blue was the only correct color for a '12 ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

1912 Delivery cars were painted red (or unpainted) with blue or black fenders according to the encyclopedia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Well, I'm just a Buck Private in the rear ranks so I'm not sure about the history on the colors. I wasn't there then. Whether midnight blue is the correct color or not, I sure do like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Burger -- Yes, according to the MTFCI Guidelines which is supposed to be the authority on the subject. The Midnight Blue is supposed to be the only original color for 13's as well (according to the Guidelines), but I've seen lots of dark green restored ones. Kinda' makes you wonder........... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

John,
Years ago, I saw your "new" car for sale. The owner at the time had a story about why the car was painted the color it is. At the time, I was extremely skeptical of the story (and probably still am), however, I've reached a point where anything is possible when it comes to accepted Ford history.

The car looked (and still does) like a great car. I suspect you'll be very happy with this great example of an early Model T. Enjoy.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

Would love to know the story.

That is the only Model T that I have ever seen dressed in that color.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration