What is it...and for what '26

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What is it...and for what '26
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred L. Olenberger on Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

A fellow T'r suggested I oil my commutator. A oiler looking place just below the spark push/pull rod looked like the spot. It's a round lid like structure (tad over 1/2" in diameter) with what appears to be a slot for a standard screw driver. With my thumb nail the structure popped off. There were no threads anyplace. On the underside of the "cap" there was a small wire connected to the center which looks like a tiny bucket handle.
So ....I had to see what was inside. Found no extra parts there. Did note the grease had a aluminum shine to it. I am guessing that may have been an oiler at one time and someone just capped it. Greased it up good and put back together. Runs fine. What do I do to plug the hole? I only work with three mediums duct tape bailing wire an JB weld.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 12:40 am:

I have a '26 coupe and my commutator has a lid that is held in place by a very week extension spring, You simply push the lid it aside to lubricate periodically with oil, not grease and, when done, the spring pops the lid back in place. I assume your spring came off when you twisted the lid, thinking it was threaded. The slot you thought was for a screwdriver is the loop the spring hooks to. You should carefully remove your commutator to see if the spring is in the bottom of the commutator as it could pose a problem if the spring wire unravels and shorts out your commutator. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:46 am:

The oiler is the same one that is on the spindle bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 12:57 am:

The below photo was recently posted by "TT" in a recent timer thread. It shows the inside of the same type of commutator I have, with the lid held in place by an extension spring. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred L. Olenberger on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Jim thanks for your post. The extension spring is wrapped around the end if the cam (I think it's the cam) how would this be fixed? I did feel around the spring which looks like your photo except its stretched out, and stayed around the cam. I did not take the nut off and examine it further for fear of doing more damage....guess that is my next step. (Examine...not damage) can that spring be purchased? Last question...my new Anderson has no oil hole, why? Thanks again
FredO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Fred. It would be a good idea to remove the commutator to check to see if the spring is in the bottom. It is not a difficult job.

Old worn out commutators with intact springs are a dime a dozen and I'm sure there are members here that have boxes of them that would be glad to send you one. Perhaps you can start a thread entitled, "I need a new commutator oiler lid and spring. Can you help me?" (and post the above picture with it). The current thread is very vague and does not adequately address the subject. In the mean time, I will look and see if I have one I can send you. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

I just looked in my parts boxes, but unfortunately don't have what you need. Go ahead and post a new thread. I'm sure someone will have a new lid and spring they can send you. Good luck. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Fred

That spring holds the oiler cap on, but allows it to flip to oil the rotor. To fix, carry the timer case to the local hardware store and select a coil spring of length to retain the oiler cap.

There are many many different style of timers, the roller versions require oiling. The plastic timer case types with brush rotors (New Day) are oil less types, the Anderson flapper rotor is an oil less type, so no oil hole on an Anderson.

Likely you have the 'Tiger' brand repro, its got an oiler cover with the feature you describe, that slit is where the coil spring fits and inside the case is a lug to secure. Yours has come apart and stretched around the cam nut, so you got to remove that busted spring now.

Sorry for the blurred image.

Anderson flapper, some run no oil, but I like to use just a 'dab' of high strength lube on the flapper end, works for me.

Typical roller rotor of the Ford and other roller type timers require constant oiling or you can fill the timer case with grease too. Cleaning annually is normal for any timer to check condition for nice running Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

PS. The commutator contact roller has a spring ("Commutator Spring") which keeps the roller tight against the contacts. That might be what you were feeling. Don't mess with that :-) Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration