Hot Air Pipe Interference

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hot Air Pipe Interference
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick - Raleigh NC on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:42 am:

I purchased a new hot air pipe and am trying to install it on my '26, but it is interfering with the manifold and\or manifold clamp.

Is the tab on the hot air tube supposed to go between the manifold nut and clamp, or? This should be simple, but I'm not seeing how it goes together.

Also, do people generally use the hot air tube, or just run without it?

Tube

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:47 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/631011.html?1460404860

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:52 am:

Patrick, You might have to bend the tabs out at the top to make it fit. Many of the repro styles had a movable tab with a hole to fit the bolt and the tab was secured to the pipe with a rivit so it could be movable. Much debate over when or how they should be used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Carburetor and choke control don't look right for a 26. The ones I've seen and have there is only one universal at the needle, and the rod doubles as the choke control using a collar that pulls the choke wire. https://www.modeltford.com/item/4591.aspx, https://www.modeltford.com/item/4131.aspx and https://www.modeltford.com/item/4129B.aspx

Running this air filter, https://www.modeltford.com/item/CARB-FRE.aspx I haven't found it necessary to run a hot air pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick - NC on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Thank you both for the input. Before I start bending metal, I thought I would ask here first.

Did not realize that the use of was controversial,but not totally surprised.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:08 am:

Climates vary over the world, but conditions where you need a heat pipe are so rare that I think you can follow Ford's advice and take it off in the hot season = when we usually drive our old Fords today. Using the pipe will rob some horsepowers and you have only 20 to begin with..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick - NC on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:09 am:

John: My car was handed down in the family and I know not all is correct with it. It did have a Holly G on it with a swivel top and the linkages that you see.

I just rebuilt and installed an NH and am connecting it into the existing linkage system. In the future I may change out the control linkages, but I have no clue what is correct. This at least gets me rolling again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Patrick,

I bought a new (repro) hot air pipe years ago. I had to cut, bend, and do some general convincing to make it fit. The manifold clamp goes through the nickel sized hole in the side. The tabs near the top just allow the hot air pipe to rest on the manifold and provide some clearance.

I happened to come across an original hot air pipe not too long ago, and when I went to install it, it went right on without any problem. The fit was perfect.

I have found out the hard way over the years, in most cases, money is better spent on original parts. I have seen hot air pipes on the MTFCA classifieds at times and I bet if you posted over there you would have some luck finding one that you can clean up and paint.

There sure are enough folks here who do not seem to have a use for one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Ford made a hot air pipe for the new style carburetors with the swivel joint. It is dished in about 1/8" to give some clearance. I have a late '25 with that type of carburetor and hot air pipe. I doubt if you would have much trouble finding one. I started to do some research on hot air pipes once at the archives, and kind of gave up after I had at least 15 changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Mullins Spokane Wa. on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:37 am:

That's not the correct hot air pipe for a 1926. They have a recessed area to clear linkage & tab on the edge to bolt to manifold stud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:47 am:

The air pipe goes between the manifold clamp and the manifold, and the tab with the slot goes on the outside between the nut and the clamp. It should clear everything if you install it like that. I don't have one on my car at this time, but have one which looks just like the one in the picture and it fits. You might need to take a hammer and put a dent in it to clear the choke linkage. Other than that it should fit.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:50 am:

I notice that you have two swivels on the choke linkage. What body style do you have? Both my 26's are a Roadster and a Touring. They have a different firewall than you show. Both of mine have only one swivel which is located right at the carburetor adjustment needle. Maybe that's why your hot air pipe won't fit.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Below is the hot air pipe to which Bill Mullins is referring.

Note how the adjustment rod is routed - much different than Patrick's first photo. Also, note the attached choke wire.

This photo belongs to Dan Treace:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 11:01 am:

PS: I have available for sale what I believe is correct for late '25 through '27 if anyone is interested:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 11:07 am:

I also have another hot air pipe which is slightly different which is for sale.

I'm not sure if this is a true 26-27 factory issue or an earlier pipe that someone simply hammered accommodate the control rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick - NC on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 11:49 am:

I did not realize that there were so many types of this part. I have no problem cutting the repro part to fit until I can find an original.

My configuration will confuse many. I inherited the car from a relative that built it. The block S\N indicates January '26. I had no experience with this particular car and model T's prior to his death.

This will never be a show car and am not interested in that. The car is what it is.

Wherever I can make improvement\corrections I will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

We discussed your car in the past.

It's a homemade affair so anything that has been done to it in the past or anything that you do to it in the future will be "correct."

Don't waste your time or money trying to be factory correct. If you do, you'll end up replacing the entire car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick - NC on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Gotcha. Thanks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration