Early hood question about rivets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Early hood question about rivets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:25 am:

The 1911 hood I am stripping prior to paint application has many rivet heads that are almost flush with the metal panels. Obviously some knucklehead before me used a DA and sanded down or reduced the rounded heads on many rivets. I'd like to replace these compromised rivets, but I don't see such an animal offered in the major vendors' catalogs, or at least not in Lang's. The manufacturer of new brass era hoods must get these special rivets somewhere!
What are you brass Model T guys using to replace similarly worn-down rivets in your hoods? I can't be the first person to ask this question, but the search engine on this website hates me and refuses to help me find past discussions on this subject. Are you using something from the hardware store? If so, what are these rivets called and where do you buy them? Ace? Home Depot? True Value? Lowe's? Or does a specific Model T parts vendor actually offer such rivets?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Tom Rootlieb who makes the new hoods could certainly tell you, and have you ever heard of McMaster Carr?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 10:52 am:

Click here:

http://bigflatsrivet.com/aluminum-rivets.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration