Handles from a '26 Model T Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Handles from a '26 Model T Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

Was wondering if anyone has any information on two handles I found off of a T - '26 roadster.

The two "hand holds" are about 7" long and were removed from the rear body shell (Turtle back) left and right of the trunk lid like they'd be placed for a rumble seat, which this car was not set up with. They have part number 368820 on the backside. See photo. No Ford stamp. They are pretty heavy in weight and have no pits - are decorative - with tapered points at both ends. Looks to be brass plated (?) - no nickel present that I can see, which may have worn off.

Any idea if these are an accessory or the origin of? Thanks, Bill.

Sorry for the shadows in the photo - it was a nice bright day outdoors!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

Bill:

Origin of those "handles" could be from anything, as added by someone in the past.

Trunk lid did not any any handle... the key , after unlocking would serve as a handle to lift lid so that both hands could open lid and set lid brace to hold open

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Trunk lid did not "any" any handle.

....... should read... did not "have" any handles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

Is there a chance they had wood slats from side to side to carry some luggage, skis or other items or to look good on the car like the little sports cars I remember? A dresser piece?

Joe R. Independence, Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Someone added those unknown grip handles there for maybe riding in the turtle deck with the lid removed? Or for leverage when reaching in to lift out heavy packages?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

No wood slats on the trunk lid, Joe, but definitely could have been used as tie downs, if needed in a pinch, that's for sure. I gather from everyone's comments that these handles were not a Ford accessory. They looked like they were made for the car by seeing how they appeared fastened onto the body before being removed. I'll keep them for a future project (C-cab handhold may work). Thanks for all the help everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 11:59 pm:

Maybe they were just for the top to rest upon?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration