1924 Spare Tire Mount

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1924 Spare Tire Mount
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

My demountable rim doesn't seem to fit on the spare tire carrier. It's resting in the side brackets, but the lower bolt hole doesn't line up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

You may have a mount that is for a 21 inch wheel. I'm sure someone would trade you the correct one for it. Seems I remember not to long ago someone had a 30x3 1/2 carrier and was looking for a 21 inch one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

They don't line up . there is a clamp that bolts to the carrier and clamps the rim in place, the clamp has a hole for a lock.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

I guess I'll purchase the clamp and see if it fits my rim. I saw this image (posted in 2009) that makes the attachment hole look higher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Benjamin on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 09:31 am:

John T (above) is correct. You have the wrong size carrier for your rim. There were 21" and 23" inch spare tire carriers.

I had this same problem, and I fixed it by finding a 23" carrier at a swap meet. They're out there.

Good luck.

Rick Benjamin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

What measurement can I check to see if the carrier is 21" or 23"?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

No matter what the size, the rim should touch on the carrier at the bottom as shown in the photo you posted above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

Thanks. I'm confused on the 21" and 23" size carriers. Isn't the 30 x 3-1/2 rim 23" I.D. and 30 x 3" rim 24" I.D.? My rims are 30X3-1/2.

see... http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/82464.html?1234855241

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Phil,
The 21" tire wheels came in demountable rims too, not just wire wheels. This style carrier wasn't used on the 30x3 rims, as they were non-demountable rims/wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

So this style carrier was only for the 30 X 3-1/2 demountable rims? Why did it come in 2 sizes?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

I was looking for a 21 inch carrier of this style. I have a good carrier for a 30 inch rim and I would be interested in a swap if you are interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Here's a picture of mine.Carrier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

I sent you a PM, Michael.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 12:00 am:

Phil,
You have the right tire carrier on your 1924. Something must be bent. Your carrier is the same as Michael Wilcox's. If you measure the top edge of the top rail, you will find that it is about 19-3/4" long on the carrier for 30X3-1/2" tires. That dimension is only about 17-1/2" long on the carrier for 21" tires. (The 21" tires did not become available until the 1925 model year.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

The top measures 20" at its narrowest point.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

A simple way to tell the difference is the arms that fasten the carrier to the frame. The 21in has a step in towards the center of the car just before it connects to the ring. the 30x3.5 carrier has straight arms from frame to the ring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:30 am:

The carrier on Michael Wilcox's car is a late '24-25. Notice the dimples in it for the new style taillight and license bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

Jim Rodell, your measurements are spot on. Thank you for passing that information to the group.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 12:52 am:

Larry,
Did you notice that all the photos at the beginning of this thread have the "stiffener dimples" on the top rail of the carriers? For the rest of the Forum viewers, here is a closer photo that shows what we are referring to.
Those "dimples" and the hole in the top rail were added to the carrier in 1924 to accommodate the new style tail lamp and license plate bracket assembly that was used in 1924 and 1925, and later moved to the left rear fender for 1926-27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 10:57 am:

And, in case anyone is wondering what the hole is on top of the carrier, it is for the taillight wire bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

That hole for the taillight wire was a much smaller "punched" hole earlier in 1924. Later it was apparently changed to a larger "stamped' hole, as shown.
Then, sometime in 1925, the top rail was changed again. The slots for mounting a license plate were eliminated, and replaced by two pairs of holes for mounting the taillight/license bracket assembly. This blue carrier is a later 1925 style for 30X3-1/2" tires. The carrier for 21" tires looks the same, except the top rail is about 17-1/2" long.(This information is from my observations of the tire carriers as they evolved.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 10:59 am:

Jim, are you sure that blue carrier is for a 30X3 1/2? It looks like a 21". Never have seen that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

Yes, Larry, all three of these carriers in this photo are for 30X3-1/2" wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 12:02 am:

Most of the carriers that I see have the straps at the bottom come straight down from the side brackets to the bottom bolt. The one on my 23, pictured above, are curved following the shape of the rim mounted on the carrier. It's for a 30 inch rim.

I purchased a carrier for a 21 inch rim and the bottom straps had to be bent to a curve in order for the rim to fit and the bolt to go through the hole on the rim at the bottom.

Any idea what gives with the different shapes of the carriers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Most of the carriers that I see have the straps at the bottom come straight down from the side brackets to the bottom bolt. The one on my 23, pictured above, are curved following the shape of the rim mounted on the carrier. It's for a 30 inch rim.

I purchased a carrier for a 21 inch rim and the bottom straps had to be bent to a curve in order for the rim to fit and the bolt to go through the hole on the rim at the bottom.

Any idea what gives with the different shapes of the carriers or is it my rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 12:13 am:

Sorry about the two posts. Here's a picture of the 21 inch carrier.Carrier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Thanks for setting us straight Jim. I learn something new every day about T's, and that is why I hate the term "expert"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

My 23 has a clamp between the wheel and the carrier?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

Hmm, that blue carrier has a hole in the top on the right side too, maybe it was designed to be also used for export cars w/RHD???

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration