1919 Motor-which caeburetor?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1919 Motor-which caeburetor?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

1919 Motor for my 1923 Touring
I am beginning to evaluate my motor which has a Holly Vaporizer which I understand are not the best carb. ever made. To my knowledge the 1919 came from the factory with a Kingston L2 or a Holley Model G. Now I am wondering what would be the best carburetor for my project? I have rebuilt a few SU carbs, so I am not worried about rebuilding a carb. for my T. ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Holley NH or Kingston L4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

It really is up to you, and what you want your car to become. More correct as a '23? Or maybe that really doesn't matter to you. Either way, you can really enjoy a really fun car. A '19 engine isn't much different than a '23 engine. The valve side cover is the biggest change. The head is the same, the manifolds are the same. Both could have had a generator and starter, which are almost the same (very MINOR change in the generator), pan is the same.
Hang a Holley NH on the side of it (as well as the appropriate manifolds etc) and almost nobody would ever notice that the engine is not the exact correct one. Besides, the two-cover engines were last used in 1922, so not very far off at all.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Any 1909-1927 carb and appropriate manifolds will work on any 1909-1927 Model T. You can also use a 1928-1931 Model A Carb, or 1931 Model B carb if you swap manifolds and get an adapter plate. See https://www.modeltford.com/item/3060AT.aspx And the aftermarket OF carbs are used by many folks that want a little more performance. And you can get a Webber carb set up -- again manifolds have to be changed, you need a fuel pump etc see: http://www.vintageford.com/sect_search.cfm?Line=4b&Category=Intake%20Manifold . And a properly functioning vaporizer also works well. If you think your T is performing sluggishly with a stock Ford carb, you are correct when comparing it to a modern car.

For normal Model T driving I would recommend a Holly NH see Lang's comment at: https://www.modeltford.com/item/6200REB.aspx

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

Make that 1932 Model B Carb instead of 1931.

Respectfully corrected,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

I have a 23 engine on my 20 which I am taking out for a 1920 engine I recently purchased...

If you want to go correct engine let me know. My T will be with Ross Lilleker in mid June for the engine swap.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration