Better lucky than good

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Better lucky than good
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:44 am:

f
Had a fan blade brake today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:55 am:

Driving too Fast again?

Dean, You sure are right there. I'll take Luck any day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 01:19 am:

I will blame it on fan bushings needed to be replaced. Vibration fatigue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 03:14 am:

Good luck is nice when you get it! Checking fan blades often can often prevent such need for luck. That said, it truly IS amazing how quickly a crack can form and go from unnoticeable to flying debris!
Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 05:05 am:

Had a friend loose a blade on his '14 fan on tour at the Ponca City Ok. tour years ago. It vibrated bad. Just broke the blade off the other side and continued on tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 11:03 am:

I just cut the fan belt and continued on my way to visit my 99 year old Mother .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 11:17 am:

The Model A world has a great after market one piece aluminum fan for those that do a lot of driving. Is there anything similiar for the Model T available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Michael,

Lang's, (and others), carry a new fan blade just like Dean's, (except not broken ;O) ), for about $13. Very high quality and even comes nicely powder coated. Best deal in town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Suggest all Model T owners inspect their fans for this common type of fan blade fatigue failure. Fortunately I caught this one on my car before it launched.
Ron Patterson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

I just replaced the fan on my roadster after finding a cracked blade. I looked at several used fans and all but one had cracks. I bought a new one. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

It happened to me too. The loose blade tried to come thru the side of the hood then wedged between the belt and top pulley breaking the yoke and dropping the fan on top of the crank pulley. The loose blade continued up to the top of the engine and landed on #4 plug, shorting it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

Wow, I have never checked either of my T s sounds like something I better do this weekend. I know model A s are bad about it too. I just didn't think about it. To many new things on T s to figure out I guess. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

Chester,
I think the whole problem started with that water pump. . . . .
:-)
(Hey, someone had to bring the subject up!! ) :-)

I think most of us are going out now to check our fan blades!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

That large aluminum crankshaft pulley (with the allen screw for tightening ) makes a fan spin a lot faster, therefore the blade can cause more damage. I also had a blade punch a hole in the hood. I don't stand in line with the fan when the hood is open.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration