Different Brake Set up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Different Brake Set up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 05:41 am:

I was talking to a very old chap over the weekend who used to own a T rhd here in the uk in the late 30s he remembers it being old at the time and car tax was high as it had a big engine.

He was an aviation engineer by trade and he said he had reworked the rear brakes, and built a separate brake lever attached to the existing rear drums so he could apply at the same time as the usual brake.

I showed him a Rocky Mountain set up and he said no he just made up a lever and attach the the cables! Even so he said brakes as they always are limited to amour of rubber on the road but gave him a bit more confidence.

Has anyone else come across or heard about this type of set up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

What you describe is no different than any T. You can use the pedal brake and the rear drum, (parking), brakes simultaneously. This is something I do in a panic stop situation.

I think the very old chap wasn't recalling the he possibly had some extra brakes, like Rocky Mountains, or AC, or ??? installed. There would be no other reason to have an extra lever & cables otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Rear brakes being actuated with cables vs rods in British Ts seems to ring a bell. Maybe that had something to do with his added lever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 02:41 am:

I thought when you used the hand lever it disengaged the drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 04:03 am:

Yes, but it doesn't disengage the brake drum in the transmission, just the engine.
Just make sure the emergency brake is properly adjusted on both wheels - easy to check on a gravel road or with a torque wrench on the axle nuts while the rear axle is lifted. Lined shoes should be used if the emergency brake is to be used for more than parking - and since grease leaks are common, neoprene seals inside of the outer axle bearings are also recommended to save the lined shoes :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 04:36 am:

TT
I have an English Ford hand book and lists some brake improvements, cable externals. Thomas is one and Pla-safe. A few that replace the Ford shoes, Eros and one set up from Stephen's, worked by the hand lever on cable, maybe the old chap had or copied that type of set up, original Ford brake shoes had no lining and only good for a park brake so to be effective as a moving brake the would need to be fabric lined.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 04:52 am:

Thanks both interesting stuff and I had learnt something new today !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration