Pedal Pads and Shoe (feet) Size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Pedal Pads and Shoe (feet) Size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Looking at pedal pad replacements and the difference between pads from 1909 to 1925 and those for 1926 to 1927 control pedals. My question is, did the Ford ergonomics engineering department change the pedal shape/spacing because of a change in the size of the average driver or the change in shoe design?

I have a large shoe size (12 US and 11 UK), and find driving barefoot I have better control of the peddles.

http://bigfootshoes.co.uk/blog/history-mens-shoes-1900-2014/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

George, They probably changed the configuration of the 26-27 pedals because of years of complaints and faltering sales. For those of us with the earlier pedals there is a neat accessory sold to extend the brake pedal out a bit for easier use.

Brake Pedal Extension

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

With 13 / wide feet, the only way I can use the reverse pedal is to use the side of my
foot by twisting it sideways ... a PITA ! I like the look of this gizmo. Would make combat
parking a lot less fussy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

This is one accessory that really works for big footed folks. It makes my size 13 boots and shoes a better fit for my 3 T's.

I bought one for my 21 touring and was so impressed I spent the money and added these to my other 2 T's.

Better yet would be to add the wider bolt on pedal pads to the other 2 pedals.
That would make working the pedals a LOT easier in my mind.
I hadn't bought them yet but I'm tempted!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Hey, What happened to my picture above? I swear I didn't post from Australia or N.Z.?......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Your picture looks right to me, is it flipped on your screen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Yes, It is upside down! How strange....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

George

Ford changed the pedal shape for the brake and low speed on the Improved Car not for shoe size but for safety.

Introduction announcement, Aug 1925

Pedals--Brake and clutch pedals are farther apart and have wider surfaces with flange at the side to prevent the driver's foot from slipping.

No mention of 'shoe', just foot. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Quick estimated math - so after producing est. 13 million cars out of 15 million - near the end of production - the pedals were re-spaced for safety?

What no complaints after the first million about feet slipping of pedals without rubber pads??

I was thinking a change in foot-wear or change in body mass. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

I don't think manufacturers worried much about ergonomics back in those days! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

The old bohemian (where I found my engine) put 15-16(?) pedals (the ribbed ones) in the '19 trans cover.
I 'spect it was for slippage/anti slippage.
My work boots are almost impossible to use in reverse. It takes a moment. :-)
I like those reverse pedal extensions and should try one!
My buddies improved TT is easier to use. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

Ugh. Forgot to ask.....
Michael, was your parking brake handle and rod bent offset cold or hot?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Duey, The parking brake body and rod were bent cold and the base of the Ruckstell shifter was bent hot. When I installed the Ruckstell shifter years ago I did not like the way it interfered with the brake assembly and actually hit the seat when pulled backwards. Both work great for my situation now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Do like a friend of mine, drive barefoot! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

Interesting thread George. :-)
Thank you Michael. :-) I've some bending/adjusting to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

The suppliers have pedal extensions that look like the brake and clutch pedal on a 26/27. I have 2 sets on cars and really like them. About $50 a set as I recall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Size 13s and being new to these cars is scary at times. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

I have size 14 feet. Never a problem with pedals. I like the earlier cars better. I am too tall to be able to drive the 26- 27 cars comfortably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Part of the problem may be the big, clunky shoes that many folks wear today.

In my opinion, leather oxfords, with their narrow profile, are more conducive to operating the pedals than athletic shoes or boots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

My shoe size is 11.5 E, but I'm able to make them work. One style of footwear that I will never have on again while driving a T, or any car for that matter, is a pair of "Flip flop" thongs. For some stupid reason I had them on when I took the T out one sunny day for a short test run. It wasn't long when my feet got so tangled up I almost flip flopped the sedan. Probably took a few miles of of the bands too. Finally I just took them off and drove barefoot.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Speculation (maybe a conspiracy theory) the change in pedals was around 1926. It may have been brought about with a device to measure feet/shoe size. The change in pedal size and placement was in 1925/1926. A shoe sizing device was patterned in 1925.

Design concept may have been put into play a year early. In 1925 the Brannock Device was patented. This invention is a measuring instrument invented by Charles F. Brannock for measuring a person's shoe size. The son of a shoe industry entrepreneur, Brannock attended Syracuse University, New York. Brannock spent two years developing a simple means of measuring the length, width, and arch length of the human foot. He eventually improved on the wooden RITZ Stick, the industry standard of the day, and patented his first prototype in 1925.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brannock_Device

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_size

In the century from 1870 to 1980, the average European male put on five inches, from 5ft 5ins to 5ft 10ins almost half an inch each decade. (There are no comparable figures for women.) As populations grew healthier, better nourished and better housed, they grew taller and tall people have bigger feet.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-our-fee t-are-getting-bigger-9481529.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 11:37 am:

The first time I drove our 16 I had a hard time with the reverse pedal but now I don't have to look anymore! Has anyone seen a pedal pad like this one? Only on clutch pedal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

In regard to difficulty in using the reverse pedal on all but "the new improved" '26 -'27 Model T's, I think that how the bands are adjusted is important By that I mean that if they are adjusted so that reverse is kept a tight as possible without dragging, it does not have to be depressed as far which helps an otherwise awkward situation considerably, and installation of the reverse pedal extension accessory (forgot what it's called) helps the situation even more,....... FWIW,.....harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration