OT. I just finished the Boston Marathon

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT. I just finished the Boston Marathon
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Boy am I tired!

I sat in my big arm chair and watched the whole thing on TV.
I can't believe how exhausting it is to watch a bunch of people run.

Every time they showed the runners getting a drink I had to take a sip of coffee and finally had to go to the bathroom.
Makes me wonder what the runners do!

Now I have to take a nap.
I can't believe how exhausting a marathon is.
I just have to make sure that I wake up in time for my afternoon glass of wine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Now THAT was funny :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Fred,
No one said being a senior multi-sport athlete was going to be easy...........

Glad you made the full marathon, not "just" the half.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Mebbe switch sports to decaf-alon ...

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Fred, you "athletic type" of people impress me. I did not have the energy or will power to even "compete" let alone finish the whole marathon like you did. My congratulations to you sir, well played .. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Fred, runners sweat instead of pee. If you want the true runner's experience you will need to turn up the thermostat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

In AFG, we had to log our daily water intake. With temps of 130 and up, it was a critical issue. At one point, I got
medivac'd out with a blood pressure reading of 190/113. The docs asked me how much water I had been drinking.
It hovered right around 36-37 bottles a day. They asked how big the bottles were. Half litre, I said, getting out my
little pocket log book You would have thought THEY were going to have a stroke, not me ! Apparently, under normal
conditions, that level of water consumption would prove fatal.

I explained the regimen, the heat, the physical activity, and urine color charts. I also explained that one might expect
to pee twice a day and you walked around as if someone just poured a bucket of water over your head from all the
sweat. They found it hard to believe, but moved on to other possible causes.

Fred, I hope you will make a speedy recovery from such a strenuous and taxing workout. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

I ran in the Boston marathon a number of years ago, but after several marathons I decided marathons weren't for me. I still compete in triathlon and duathlon competitions at the world class level.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Rich,
Not to take away from Fred's accomplishments, that's great. Very impressive. I wonder how many former and current athletes we have among our T forum members?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration