Chrome plating recommendations

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Chrome plating recommendations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Saxon on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

I know this topic has been covered before, but any recommendations for a company to chrome plate a radiator shell. Looking for a reasonable price for a nice job. Not looking for show quality.
Thanks,
Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

They have to nickel plate it before they can chrome it. You should consider having it done in nickel to be correct, same price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

I use Courtesy Metal Polishing in Villa Park, IL. They have very reasonable prices and good service. They will do nickel plating, which is correct for the Model T.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Do nickel for sure. Much better and more authentic outcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

I agree with Don but be sure and tell the plating shop you want "bright nickel." Otherwise they may just plate it with the underlying nickel before a chrome job. And you're right; there have been excellent plating shops recommended on this forum - none of which I remember. I haven't had good luck with a local plating shop in Austin, TX. Just Google 'plating MTFCA'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Saxon on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Thanks guys. I sent a message to Courtesy for an estimate for bright nickel plating. Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Be sure your shell is in good shape, as plating really highlights the dings.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Ted,
I might need to get mine done too. Please share what the cost might be.

thanks
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Saxon on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

John,
I am waiting to hear from Atlas in Texas and Courtesy in Illinois. I will let you know when I hear back.
Thanks,
Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

I use a place in north ga called auto cycle powder coaters. The powder coat, chrome and work bent sheet metal. There work is outstanding. They straightened a Honda 305 dream fender for me that the bell at the bottom was bent up terribly. The worked the metal and powder coated it black. You cant see the metal was every bent. My opinion on their work but they do all of Coker tires work coating new wheels. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Ted,

I sent you a private message.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Ted:

Since you are in New Brighton, MN go to AAA Metal Finishing in St. Paul:

http://www.aaametalfinishing.com

They are very reasonable and have fast turnaround. You can walk in with your item, talk to the owner and get an estimate.

The current owner worked for and bought the business from the previous owner who was in the antique car hobby so they are used to doing small jobs for hobbyists.

They did some nickel plating of mainly small items for my father's Waverley Electric about five years ago. The turnaround time was one week. Some other shops in the Twin Cities that cater to hobbyists can take months before they get to your parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Saxon on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Erik,
Thanks so much. I sent them an email.
Regards,
Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

I've used Graves Plating http://gravesplating.com/ I've used them for both motorcycle and car parts. They will repair any cracks in the shell and and do an excellent job for you. They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. EPA and OSHA regulations make it very difficult for plating businesses. They did the radiator and headlight rings on my car if you want check my profile picture. I did go with chrome as it is lower maintenance. However, using a local business is always good as Erik suggests.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Model T's used no chrome plating

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 06:37 am:

Ted, I had mine nickel plated and it needed much work. The shell was dented and pitted plus the mounting tabs were cracked. The total cost was around $400.00 but it looks brand new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Saxon on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Thanks for all the help everyone. Looks like the low side is $200.00 with a three month wait to $750.00 and get it done right away. Decision time!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Saxon on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Update on the nickel plating. I went with Phil Jamison's recommendation of Courtesy Metal Polishing. I worked with Tino, one of the owners. It took about 3 months as they are really busy, but I am very happy with the end result. One polished hub and one nickel plated shell for $250.00 plus shipping.
Thanks,
Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

I'm confused...your car is a 23 TT fire truck or do you also have a 26-27 car also? Only the 26-27's had nickel plated radiator shells and beauty strips, the shells and strips were made of brass, to cut down on the cost of plating...all cars prior to 26, till 1916 with steel shells where black...although may be different with fire trucks, but even so I'd think the shell would be painted the same color as the body though, not nickel plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

Wow.looks nice. And cost savings is a plus..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

I used Atlas plating in Houston Texas. You can contact them and they will give you a quote. I had some work done and it was very nice.

They will ask you to send a photo so they can see what they will need to do on your part.

Took about 2-3 weeks and was very reasonable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

I like the Nickel look on these old cars. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 06:51 am:

I've used Plating Specialties in Duluth, MN. They do good work at a good price. Re-nickel plating my radiator shell cost me $224. Only issue is that if they tell you it will be ready in three weeks, its more likely it will be ready in 3 months. Of all the items I have had them plate, they have never made a promised deadline on one of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil McKay on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Are there any recommendations for plating companies located in Oregon or Washington?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Be sure to use a plating shop that does the old fashioned type of nickel plating. We have one in L.A. called Christiansen plating. It doesn't get dull like most plating shops, because they KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING! And by the way nickel shells were available in 1925.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration