TT Truck Top ("Roof") Replacement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TT Truck Top ("Roof") Replacement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig bothwell on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

I am replacing the "roof" of my TT closed cab. The top bows are fine. I am replacing the wood on the perimeter of the cab. No problem. My question is: What material is used between the top bows and the top vinyl material. I have been told chicken wire was used originally. Is this correct? Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Craig Bothwell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

No chicken wire.They used a 1/4 " felt pad and any good floor covering business should have some,cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

typically, Chicken wire was not used on Ts, but it can do the job. I don't know if your truck had a headliner, probably not--so I would tack down a nice piece of material first so when you're sitting in the truck and looking up, things look nice and tidy. Then you can add the chicken wire, and on top of that some padding--I'd use Dacron, about 1/2" or less and don't carry it over the sides. Put the top material on after it has sat out in the sun a while and is almost too hot to touch--then it will stretch nicely and your top should stay tight when you're done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

The image below shows a heavy cotton duck material used for the first layer and functions as the "headliner". On top of that was placed the 1/4" foam pad then the top material.

Leave out the chicken wire. It can't be pulled tight and offers no support. If someone presses on the top or something falls on the top, the chicken wire will remain deformed. Ford didn't use chicken wire on the Model Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig bothwell on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

To those who responded to my earlier message, re. TT truck correct roof material, I would like to say THANK YOU, very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

I have seen chicken wire used on Farmer Brown fix-that-myself top replacements. A lot of
C-cabs seem to wear this.

My 26 box cab has never had the sub-top material replaced. It is a fine weave burlap-like
material directly over the bows. The color is/was a tan, that has been water stained here and
there in it's 90 years of service. I can provide photos if you like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Burlap is common in such applications. It looks the right colour and is period correct. I use 1/4" thick dacron over it. It is not too full and is not affected by moisture.

Allan from down under

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration