Generator testing speed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Generator testing speed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

What RPM should be used when resting a generator by turning it with a lathe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

This should help:

gen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Is that generator RPM or engine RPM? On a T, the generator turns at 1.5 times the engine speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

I think that is generator speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

Thanks John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

Chester
The chart above, thought interesting if you understand how a third brush regulation generator actually works, has little to do with initially setting up a rebuilt Model T generator.
A tool for that purpose spins the generator armature at 1725 RPM which equates to about 28 MPH and is adequate to set the proper charging rate for today's normal driving conditions.
That should be about 5-6 Amps and will keep the battery charges unless you drive a lot at night using the headlamps.
Hop this helps.
I work on Model T generators most days and if you have further questions give me a call.
Ron Patterson
859-881-1677

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration