More TT questions :-) !!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: More TT questions :-) !!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

Hey guys , couple questions for you about dads TT project !! We have a flat bed , non ford , that is 8' 3" , is that too long ? Also , we have the longer "U" bolts to mount it to the truck , but does anyone have any pictures of where they go ( detailed pics I guess ) one more thing , how in the heck do the gas/spark rods come out of the steering column ? aid like to replace the ones I have. Thanks !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

Travis

For the one more thing :-) Refer to the Ford Service manual.

The steering column has to come out of the chassis and be disassembled for change of the rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

This is a view of the rear attachment point of a stake bed to a TT frame.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Thanks Rich , how about the front ? And thanks Dan ! Seriously never even looked in the book !! Still learning , thanks again :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

If your TT is a late 1925 through 1927, the rear cab mounting bracket on the frame is longer, such that the cab bolts onto the front bracket holes and the bed bolts to the rear holes.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

It is a 25 , but the cab bolts to the rear holes , my understanding was the C cabs were shorter and used the front holes ? And the bed bolted to the rear ones like you said , Could completely be wrong though , but ours won't go on any other way but using the rear holes . I'll take some pictures and post tomorrow . Thanks for the information either way :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Found them on my phone :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 12:48 am:

The beds were all over the board ... there is no "correct" with a non-Ford unit. Farmer Brown and Industrial
Andy built their beds to suit their needs. If it were me, I'd balance my intended use/s with a side profile aesthetic
I liked. My 26 is bone stock with a Ford bed. I love the proportions of the truck. My 25 had a 2' frame extension
for the Warford and an Ford bed. The wheels are absurdly stuck out by the back of the bed with little overhang.
If I ever build that truck, the bed will be extended to get a better aesthetic balance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

Did you gents notice that the C-cab rear mount shown above is riveted on? I never seen this before any was wondering what the possible reasoning for this is? All the other steel cabs I have seen have been bolted in place. Strange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Fred, I wonder if someone jammed a carriage bolt into the round hole. The head looks pretty large in diameter and flat to be a rivet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Fred,
I noticed that too, and came to the same conclusion that Justin did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

That's what I thought too until I got up underneath and looked. Sure enough it's a large rivet and looks like it was put there by the factory. It seems there was a special tax on factory trucks around 1925. That seems to be the case that lead some owners to buy a roadster then put the truck bed on afterward rather than buying done that way.
I wonder if this Rivet was a way of sealing the Truck as complete rather than just a chassis which would have been taxed differently.

Incidentally all the other mounts are bolted normally.
Might be we will never know.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration