How to remove Buffalo Wire Wheel Rear Hubs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How to remove Buffalo Wire Wheel Rear Hubs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

Ok, Buffalo Wire Wheels are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but how the hell do you remove the rear hubs??? The great hub puller from all of the suppliers (yes I have one and they work great on standard hubs) does not fit the size or thread on the Buffalo hub! I don't want to buy a super expensive special made one (they have been advertised on here). So what to do?
Has anyone solved this problem?
Thanks for any help,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

Not elegant but don't know why it wouldn't work is the old technique for loosening stock T rear hubs when no puller is available. Loosen, but do not remove the nut holding the hub to the axle. Put the wheel back on and drive the car a bit with some abrupt left and right turns. This can break the hub loose on the axle taper. Don't go on a tour, just around a block or do a slalom run in your driveway if it's long enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Hard to explain verbally, but I'll give it a try.
Get one of those two piece clamp-type bearing removers and a normal gear puller. Clamp the bearing type puller (I don't think I am calling this the right name) around the Buffalo hub and put the gear puller legs around the bearing puller and the center bolt/stud against the axle shaft, just like a regular puller. That is what I have been using for years. Maybe someone here can phrase this better so it is easier to understand!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Ron - clear to me and sounds better than my idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

By-the-way, the size of the Buffalo Hub is:
2 3/8", 14 tpi.
Unfortunately the TT hub puller at Lang's is:
2 3/8", 16 tpi
I have a call in to John McLaren to see if he has something that will work.
Someone must have solved this problem.

Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

I got my puller from Kevin Pharis. Well made piece. Remember it has to have left and right hand threads.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

The clamp "gizmo " called a "bearing splitter " I believe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Les, thanks for id'ing the gizmo!!!
Could not think of the name when I was typing my first post! Hell getting older.....

Anyway, I've got some cheap bearing splitters and have one that fits and clamps perfectly around the neck of the Buffalo hub. With a two-jaw gear puller, the hub comes off super easy!

I have been meaning to buy the proper tool from Kevin Pharis. Never made it to his booth at Bakersfield, so I guess I'll have to order one!.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Ok, you guys. I have found a solution sitting in one my toolboxes.

Here it is for anyone that should need this in the future:

You don't need to buy some fancy, expensive piece of equipment that you will maybe use once or twice. You do need a large puller like this however. The lip of the scalloped area where the wheel locks in is adequate to get a grip with the puller.

Problem solved!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Your absolutely right Jon, there is more than one way to skin a cat. However, care does need to be taken not to damage the hubs when pulling them from the axle tapers.

When using a clamshell and puller, the process is fairly foolproof... Given that you have a set of hubs that have a shoulder to pull against. There have been several reproducers of hubs over the years in addition to the original design, and they all have different shapes. Some of which do not have a shoulder to pull against.

As for the method you have pictured in your last post... I have to strongly advise against. The original hubs as well as most of the reproductions are made from ductile iron. This variation of cast iron is just that, ductile. I'm not saying this method won't work, but if your hub is "stuck" and you pull hard enough, you can bend the "couregated drive" flange. I have seen plenty of hubs that have suffered this fate. And when the drive flange gets bent, it will interfere with the wheel seating properly, then good luck getting your wheels to run true or feel tight on that hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 02:29 am:

I'm with Kevin.... I know it worked for you today, but if those hubs are on tight ( as they should be) and you tighten down on the puller it can pop off and cause damage to the car or seriously injure you.

I have a Buffalo puller. I won't ship it off to anyone I don't know well, but if you're in the area of Ventura County I have one anybody can use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Well, next time, if there is a next time, I will borrow Gary's hub puller if necessary. Before doing anything, I will always try my puller first. If it looks terribly tight, I will call Gary. In most cases for me, this would work fine.
I will say to rest of you, that in this case the axle nuts and hubs were so loose that they could be removed by hand!
So basically, you need to look at what you have first instead of thinking it to death.
Regards,
Jon

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration