Interior for early Center Door

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Interior for early Center Door
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrie Nolting on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Anyone know of a supplier for upholstery for 1915 center door interior?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 07:39 am:

I have an original aluminum bodied early 1915 centerdoor sedan that I am restoring. I have several pieces of the ornate trim work and faberic. I plan on having this custom made. If you are interested maybe I could have more produced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 08:18 am:

Bob,

I was hoping you would notice this posting.

Does anyone know how long the 1915 upholstery style material was used? I.e. would it also be appropriate for a 1916 or perhaps even a little later Centerdoor? Or other closed car? And I wonder if the Fisher Body company used that same cloth in other bodies that they supplied to other automakers around that time?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

Good question Hap. Since in 1916 the gas tank was relocated under the drivers seat and the windshield is now two piece maybe Henry cut costs on the fancy trimwork as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Didn't the early Couplet have ornate brocade upholstery fabric on the door panels, etc., similar to the early Center Doors?

Just wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Yes Mike they did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Here is the original interior for my 1915 centerdoor ( ghost, thanks Hap ) that I plan on having reproduced. Also a photo of another original car once owned by Kim Dobbins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

Try again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 01:09 am:

Bob,

Thank you so much for giving Ghost such a great new home. And thank you for the progress you are making on bringing it back to the way it once looked and drove.

For those that like stories -- there is a little more about Ghost at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/142783.html

And back to the original topic, the 1915 Sedan and Coupelet appear to share similar upholstery (ref page 202 of Bruce’s book where he says, “The Coupelet used the Sedan’s upholstery style, with minor variations.”) And it appears to have possibly been a one model year item. On page 290 Bruce commented, “The upholstery in the Sedans also varied, not only with the body maker but also during the production runs. In general the pattern was similar between the makers. From 196 until 1919 it seems to have been a gray, whit-striped material.” From that, the photos of the 1919 upholstery in Bruce’s CD, vs the 1915 upholstery, I believe the 1915 was a one model year only for the very ornate upholstery. “IF” anyone has additional information to confirm or correct that, please let us know.

You might want to check with Russ Furstnow, who if I remember correctly purchased Mike Walker’s 1915 Coupelet. I believe there is an excellent chance that some of the upholstery material Fisher Body Company used on the Sedans was the same or very similar to what it used on the Coupelets. And from memory, Mike’s and now Russ’ 1915 Coupelet will need upholstery. Trent shares at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1915-16H.htm
scroll down to 1915 Sedans and Coupelets that Fisher produced both the Centerdoor bodies and the Coupelet bodies in 1915. That they were sent to the Ford plant fully painted and upholstered. And that both the Sedan and the Coupelet were produced in small numbers during Dec 1914, Jan 1915, and Feb 1915. They were not produced again until the fall of 1915 with 1 Coupelet produced in Oct 1915 followed by 225 Coupelets and 1 Sedan produced Nov 1915. And 213 Coupelets and 130 Sedans produced in Dec 1915. Those Oct – Dec 1915 cars would have been 1916 model year cars.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Garrie, I have a bolt of fabric that was reproduced years ago for a 15 center door. I'll get it down and post a picture of a sample

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Here is the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jenell Larson on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

You know about Cartouche probably, right? They have upholstery kits for 1909-1927 T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

The upholstery kits available do not match, nor come close to the 1915 material pattern. The bolt that Kim has is the correct pattern. Finding the matching or close gimp will be very difficult and may have to be custom woven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 12:18 am:

For Kim,

Thank you for posting the photo of the older reproduction cloth. Do you remember how closely that matched the upholstery in the 1915 Centerdoor you once owned? And was it used on the door and side panels? Seats? Both? I presume (and that can get us in trouble) that the trim went over that base upholstery to create the the designs as well as to hide the seems -- is that a good guess?

For Jenell -- you have a very nice looking 1922 Centerdoor (ref Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 08:36 pm posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/612092.html?1461458194#POST833300 ).

I may have missed it (that happens more often than I like), but for the closed car/Centerdoor I only saw 1917-1922 listed under the Cartouche (several choices but for the later 1917-1922 see: http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_t/catalogsearch/result/?attrval_brand=38 0&order=Newest ) and 1919-1922 for Classtique Upholstery ( see: http://classtiqueupholstery.com/index.php/catalog )

I don't know if one or both of them would work with someone to provide a kit or provide any patterns for the 1915 Centerdoor.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrie Nolting on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Thanks everyone for all the good information. However the 1915 that I am looking into turned out to be a later steel bodied car. Probably a 1916. While not as ornate, still a difficult car interior to restore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 03:55 am:

Hap the interior of this car seems to be more brown in color than Kim's bolt. Maybe they were offered in two color ways ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Garrie,

If the '16 your looking at used gray material, then I can tell you where I got my fabric from. The kits available did not have the stripe pattern close enough for my liking. Though not exact, this was the closest I could find. PM me if you're interested.

Here's the seats for my '22 centerdoor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Hello Les. I tried to send you a PM but it is blocked or something. I would be very interested in talking to you about the upholstery for my 18 centerdoor. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Frank,

Send me a contact number to my e-mail:
wnlag145@aol.com.

I'd be glad to provide help or other photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Hedges on Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Frank is your centerdoor a fisher body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Seress, Prescott Az. on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Hi Jack. I had to find and go back to a february 24, 2015 thread by Hap Tucker that explains with pictures from a September 6, 2009 thread the difference between a Wadsworth body and a Fisher centerdoor body. I have the Wadsworth body on my 1918. Unfortunately I have read articles with the difference between the two body styles in the opposite way before but Hap states that his research is the proper one. Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Hedges on Wednesday, April 27, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

I have a fisher body with the numbers under the rear seat and the tops of the doors,trying to find a center door with the fisher numbers to compare mine to.thanks Jack

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration