OT-Wearing 'bibs' for T stuff...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT-Wearing 'bibs' for T stuff...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 01:06 am:

I know I could flat out ask him...but this will be more fun.

What brand 'bibs' does Steve Jelf wear? (No fair answering, Steve)

I like 'bibs' because my pants don't fall down when I am reaching up overhead for something and when my butt scooches over the floor on my back I don't get floor burns :-)

Steve always looks so good in his bibs...his tools here and there...with a jacket or his work coat on top the bibs work too and his shoulders always work in 'bibs'.

Me on the other hand always have the bib part want to ride up and make me look like the Lone Ranger when I'm sitting and trying to work close on something...my last try was 'Union' brand, and they worked pretty good but still the upper 'bib' feels too big for a 5-7...215 pounder with no butt and a 27" inseam.

I've tried numerous other 'bibs' but they all have something a tad off...

I have come to the conclusion that it is probably my watermelon shape where Steve is relatively slim...but before cast in stone I'd like to try a few more makes...

On the other hand, someone built like me who is really a cross between a watermelon and a 'lope' and who has found a good 'bib' solution please sing out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 01:48 am:

What ever brand is on sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 01:50 am:

Hint, I found out the are Not OshGosh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 01:59 am:

Many years ago Oshkosh went yuppie and quit making adult sizes. Since then I've been using the ones imported from Okieland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 08:18 am:

I usually were the coveralls given to me when I was working with things that go BOOM in the navy they are still very serviceable and the price is right! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 08:37 am:

Round House

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 09:49 am:

This is a good question for Bud DeLong, 'cause he really likes his "bibs", and he's close to being the same size as George.

What do you think, Bud? Just wondering... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Lee?

In my closet hangs a pair of the blue and white pin strip train engineer overalls I used to wear skiing in the 80s in the Sierra. There's about a half dozen lift tickets still hanging from the tool loop on the right leg.

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on April 20, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Keith,I have worn Round House for many years! I remember Francis Hudson who used to wear bibs to church and i thought it funny! Now after 44 radiation treatments i wear bibs! Yes i have new ones for formal wear weddings,funerals,and such! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

I'd like to wear them but my wife says no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Have buy mine online no one around here carries them and if they do they want shiny penny for them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

My grandfather wore his bibs religiously, everyday. And at his request, he was wearing his bibs in his funeral service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

My question is - Does each pair come with a color coded "Tape Measure"?
Steve just kiddin! Glad to see you made it to Califunny. How was the Swap meet in Bakerstown?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 11:04 pm:

Well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 05:19 am:

I saw a pair of Pointer brand bibs on a fellow at a party recently. He said he bought them somewhere in Virginia. I'd love a pair like them.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:13 am:

I wear Reeds all the time, wife says they make me look old and fat, I told her I am old and fat! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 09:44 am:

I'm 5'-9" tall and weigh 240, so my shape is similar to George's. I bought a pair of Round House overalls (my Dad called them "overhauls") while on a Model T tour several years back and wore them occasionally. A year or two ago, I bought some Big Smith ones from Wal-Mart, $30. Then I bought 2 more and wear them all the time. I've noticed that my shirts don't get nearly so dirty when working in the shop.

I really like how handy they are, with all those little pockets in the bib. I keep my cell phone in one and a small credit card/ID card case in another. That frees up the bigger pockets in the legs for other stuff, such as a pocket knife, keys, and folding money in a clip.

You've all heard the saying, "handy as a pocket on a shirt." Several pockets on a bib are even better. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

I was "cured" from wear "bibs" back in the 70's while working in a pipe shop. The bib worked like a catcher's mitt and caught a blob of hot iron during a pour. Burned me all the way down my leg till it came out the bottom of the pants leg. I was doing moves M Jackson did not have. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Dan,
Welders where I worked all kept their shirts out of their pants, never tucked in at the waist. Welding slag could go down their shirt and right out again. Nobody wanted little burn scars around their waist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

http://www.overallwarehouse.com/liberty-denim-overalls/4751/dept

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 08:31 am:

thanks for the help....lots of things to try....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:01 am:

Shop around online. Prices for the same item vary widely. You can beat the shipping expense for some things by ordering from Wal-Mart for pick-up at your local store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Steve, Jack Benny would be proud of you! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:33 am:

www.round-house.com on sale today at 39.95 free shipping at 75.00. Made in America!!!!!!! Funeral tomorrow and the wife says the next funeral i wear bibs at will be mine!! Bud dressed in Round House Bibs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Buy a post lift! Best 1700. I have spent should have done it years past. lawn mowers Ts and modern cars fit as well. Only issue I have is remembering to put a soft hat on-----my 6-2 frame puts my head 1 inch two high for some items lifted!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Bud,

Just thinking ....... When you attend a funeral in your bibs, do you wear a necktie ?

Maybe if you wore a tie your wife wouldn't mind the bibs so much.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

I bet these new Rural King stores that r sprouting up all over Florida sell bibs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

Don't forget Bruce on Swamp people and Tim on Moonshiners they always have Overalls on. My Dad always wore Macs brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Dick,Nope no tie! The last time i wore a tie [bout 20 years] the wife wanted to keep adjusting it so i didn't get any air!! Besides the quality,price,and made in the USA,i like the split in the left top pocket that my Hamilton 23 J railway special slips in! I think David Letterman was right with his white socks!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 07:06 am:

Oh man... the one question I know right off the bat and I'm late to the party. I met Steve for the first time at this last Bakersfield swap and that was one of the first questions I asked him - Answer: "Round House purchased from Walmart in KS".

Steve I was reviewing your wheel press photos. Very nice and informative. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 08:12 am:

This will keep the ladies happy.....lady pleaser

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 08:40 am:

Andria, one correction: the Wal-mart here doesn't sell them, so I drive down to Ponca City and import them from Okieland myself. Next time I'll try the online/local pick-up thing.

Lyle Eaton was the owner of an electrical supply store in Arkansas City. His son Curt told me of a time he and Lyle attended a convention in Chicago. As always, Lyle was wearing bib overalls. Somebody said, "Lyle, what are you going to wear to the dinner tonight? You know it's a formal affair." Lyle told him, "In Kansas, overalls are formal attire."
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Seen bib'S advertised here in Florida at Rural King for $49.95. Carhartts. Washed denim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 11:31 am:

I looked at the Carhartt sight/add but i did not see where they are made? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

Love this thread guys. Decided some bib and brace overalls were the go. Liked the ones on Round House but, typically, they won't even consider delivering to Australia. Did a search and found an Australian supplier at AUD59.95 with free shipping, just bought my first pair of bibs.

Let's see how they go, may then buy more.

Cheers, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Kenneth;
they r probably made over yonder'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Carhartt are made in the USA, they have plants all around, there is a large plant outside of Madisonville,Ky.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

I think we need to buy from us!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

what I like about bibs is on a real hot day you can undo the buttons on the side and let in cool air or on a cold day button up the sides with one button or both buttons if it is really cold.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration