Model t suspension flex score

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model t suspension flex score
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 04:20 am:

I don't have the link to the video but some of you likely know what I'm talking about . Apparently someone tried a 15 touring car on a 4 wheel drive suspension tester and it did quite well, or it achieved a desirable score. No way in hell I would have ever done that with ANY model t. I would be extremely surprised if the car was completely in harmed .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 04:36 am:

This is pretty Roadkill.

http://www.hotrod.com/news/1604-watch-a-ford-model-t-shame-jeeps-with-its-suspen sion-flex/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 04:39 am:

I don't know how to edit my prior post but I had no intention of stating "this is pretty roadkill". Apparently the car is a 16' touring, not a 15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 05:07 am:

I think it's hardest on the engine, since the oil pan may get some distortion with this kind of bend on the chassis - and the pan is the only thing that keeps the three mains in line with the fourth main at the transmission on 1909-25 T's. Don't try this unless you have a Les Schubert transmission shaft with limited flex ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 07:39 am:

It doesn't do the body wood any good either. I wonder if bystanders heard any creaking and popping? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 07:46 am:

Model Ts really are/were good off road vehicles. Yes, slower then today's 4 x 4, but they would usually make it to their destination.

The illustration below has been previously posted on the forum:

From the You-tube video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1rlyl8VZFM

And then it drives away....

Some time in the last 30 or so years in one of the national club magazines, there was a great article about a man who took his T to Alaska. This was before GPS. And he was following a dashed line on the map that he thought meant an unimproved road. And it really was a poor road. When he came to the little village it turned out the "dashed line" was the marking on the map for the border between one borough (i.e. county) and the next and not a road.

Somewhere I saw some photos of a couple of T folks who were doing off roading in the USA. There was a picture of a 1920-1925 or so T with 1926-27 wire wheels up front (mismatched -- but one end had the wire and the other end had the wooden spoke wheels) and it was coming down a mountain and turning right onto the dirt road. I think it was twisted more than any of the photos above.

And if you have never had your T driving across a field or down a dirt road, it is different feeling than going down the paved avenues. If you listen closely you may even hear your T reminiscing about the days when it used to run free across the land. Perhaps times when it forded swollen streams or climbed mountains. Or even the time it took it’s first owner to the next town. But you have to drive slowly or the wind noise may keep you from hearing those stories from the past. Or maybe it was just the noise from the transmission and the wheels bumping along – but I thought I heard something….

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 07:56 am:

Off-roading used to be called "driving". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 09:19 am:

Driving in town, I've noticed that a T will take dips much better than a modern car. In the country it stirs up much less of a dust cloud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Dexter - here is the recent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXhvwkFIv0o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 06:03 am:

Good for this guy being willing to give it a shot and educating a bunch of people in the process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 08:20 am:

In Vol 24 No 3 of the Vintage Ford magazine there is an article about Model T Guys in Colorado who used to go for drives up into the mountains often higher and further than 4 wheel drive owners were able to do so in the 1980's.

Worth a read if you have the magazine or the CD's with the Vintage Ford on them. Some of the descriptions of what they did are mind boggling.

One trip tells of going across a fast running stream with banks the size of the video stills pictured above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 01:27 am:

Click on the first link and read the story at Hotrod.com. This is a test to rate off road suspension articulating capability. There is a formula used involving wheelbase and how far up the ramp one front wheel can go while keeping the rears flat on the ground. The T couldn't go any farther because the rear wheel was at the ramp or it may have scored higher. As it was it scored 1030. A good jeep score is in the 760 range and most 4x4 ratings are between 300 and 500.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 06:51 am:

I would be more worried about the wheels during the test

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 08:42 am:

I wonder if the T could score better than 1030. If you look at the pic, the left rear wheel is still on the ground but he's run out of ramp to climb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Lol, I'm pretty sure that's about right, he'd only get a few more inches and then the left wheel is about to scrub the fender if it isn't already. It's definitely very impressive, the front axle is somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees with the ground. The picture does kind of make me cringe though. Vanadium steel baby!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration