1913 Illinois license plate on a Model T-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1913 Illinois license plate on a Model T-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 08:19 am:

The license plate is cut out like a stencil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 08:57 am:

Nice view of the early 1913 short billed front fender.

He also has the Prest-O-Lite gas line running through the factory punched gas line hole in the splash shield. Great photo of an early 1913.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Is that a Prest-O-Lite tank, or is it a short welding tank lying on its side? I ask because the gas outlet looks like it's on the center-line of the tank, instead of up high, offset.

An acetylene tank was partially filled with acetone, and the acetylene was dissolved in it. The Prest-O-Lite tank had an offset outlet so that only gas would come out. With the outlet on the center-line, if that car points down hill with the lights on, the acetone will hit the outlet, blow through the gas line, and put out the lights.

Or, am I over-analyzing the photograph?

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Look at the angle of the horn bulb! I don't think there was ever any consistency on the installation of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:34 am:

Jim,

I have three Prest-O-Lite tanks and each has the valve at little different angle. My tank rack is that same style and the tank valve may be about ten o'clock. He may have one of the Prest-O-Lite regulator on that tank but the photo is not clear enough to tell.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:57 am:

That was the front license only and 1913 was the only year they did that. In 1912 they used a screen for the front plate that was formed to have raised numerals and then painted white across the raised portions with black elsewhere. In 1914 they began to just have vertical slits between the numbers to allow some air passage but that stopped soon after that. 1911 was the first issue plate in ILL and it was basically a flat plate with no cooling holes, screens or slots. It was silver with black numerals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 11:55 am:

On my screen the valve is clearly offset to the top of the cylinder. Looks like a typical Presto - Lite cylinder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Larry, my horn bulb on my '13 is at a slight angle aft and the horn itself is just like this one in the picture. Hope that's the correct position for it. They too seem to vary. And I finally bit the bullet and painted the dang thing black except for the screen/rim of course. Sure hated to do it, but the book says.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

I think this might help.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Pin striped wheels, 1322 Stewart road gear and John Brown 16's. Fantastic detail of the front end. Where do you get such great pictures?

Herb - Could you show the side and rear wheel area?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

The best I can do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 02:44 am:

Pin striped wheels are clear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Ford was adding the pin strip to the wheels long after it stopped on the body. Early 1914 style touring car Ford photo shows the wheel strip.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

got one of those plates on the 1913 overland i got up north of Chicago lest year. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration