Anyone spray " Fluid Fim " under their cars to protect them from road salt & corrosion ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Anyone spray " Fluid Fim " under their cars to protect them from road salt & corrosion ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 08:49 am:

I hauled this nice 1929 Model A over the weekend from this nice young man.

I noticed an oily substance under one of the fenders.

He said it was " fluid film " and he sprays it under all his cars to help prevent corrosion & rust.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 09:12 am:

Jim: I have chainsaw bar oil sprayed on undercarriage and inside door & fender panels of modern vehicle each Oct. My local body shop guy does this work for a number of his customers. You likely drove past his shop when you delivered our '26 coupe in 2014. Safe travels, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Never heard of it, but I would think it would make dust stick to everything under there. If everything's well painted, there shouldn't hardly be any corrosion going on. To each his own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 09:20 am:

I have noticed an oily substance sprayed under Model T cars I have delivered in the past - never thought to ask however.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 09:26 am:

There is a dealership here in town that offers that service. I think that they buy it by the drum.

http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/automotive/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:34 am:

I bought a gallon can of Fluid Film for 50 cents at an estate sale a few years ago but have yet to use it on anything. It has lanolin in it.

In Minneapolis, I had two neighbors (brothers that lived next door to each other but now deceased) who used to spray the undersides of their cars with used motor oil every fall. They also drilled holes in the doors of their cars and sprayed inside those as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 10:47 am:

I spray used motor oil under my T every time while I drive it. Then when I am done driving I have to park on pans or card board to catch what don't stick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 11:02 am:

DEAN -- LOL

I spray my T Top - bottom sides, etc with WD-40.
It penetrates and leaves a sticky film that stops air from betting to the metal.
The military found that it was better for protection than most of the expensive stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 11:39 am:

WD 40 is great for polishing anodized aluminum.

The downside is - it is an immediate dust magnet.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Holman on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 11:46 am:

James, How do you spray the chain saw bar oil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

This is old technology. I remember service stations advertising various spray rust preventatives when I was a kid. It's messy, collects dirt and isn't very nice for the environment either. Wipe it clean and slap on some paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Jim - This thread and some of the responses remind me of Ziebart which is a rust preventive treatment that I used when living in the Chicago area prior to the '70's. I believe Ziebart still exists altho' we never hear of it (or anything like it) here in the Pacific Northwest. My first brand new vehicle was a '68 International Harvester Travelall which I immediately took from the dealer to a Ziebart franchise for their rust prevention procedure. This entailed much the same as conventional undercoating except that the black stuff was much thinner than normal undercoating and seemed sort of wax based with a rather pleasant smell and the "treatment" also included spraying inside door panels and such which not only prevented rust but also provided a very noticeable sound-deadening feature that much improved the quietness of even a brand new vehicle. The "treatment" also included drilling drain holes, or enlarging drain holes where necessary to ensure adequate drainage from any inclosed area where the "salt brine" might enter.

I have nothing to do with this or any other such company or product, but should mention that I always thought it was an excellent improvement to any new vehicle in an area like Chicago which (at that time) used salt on streets in winter.

Some time ago, I posted an "inquiry" in the forum, asking if anyone used some sort of black spray lube or something to prevent, hide, protect and improve the appearance of unsightly rusty areas around front spring/axle area on Model T's. I was quickly advised by forum member(s) that they had never seen such unsightly rust areas and such. It quickly became obvious that such comments came from well meaning folks that lived in areas such as the Southwest where winter weather, salt brine, etc, etc, was unheard of. Just an observation,.....FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

I use an Eastwood under coat gun. Usually used motor oil but park it on a gravel drive for awhile. Some people say do it then take a ride on a dusty road.

http://www.eastwood.com/undercoating-gun-and2-hoses-bottle.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

I use LPS 3 which dries to a thin waxy layer and acts as a great rust inhibitor. It is pricey though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

I tried out Fluid Film this year under the daily drivers. It does work. But like any oil, it will attract dirt/dust. Unfortunately, we had a sparse winter with snow, but even still, I can say everything I coated is mint underneath. It really does make a difference but it is expensive.

I also use fluid film for other areas of lubrication points (door hinges, tailgate hinges, hood hinges, etc) and am quite impressed. I feel it is far superior to getting in areas that white lithium won't but is tacky enough to not simply fall off---similar to white lithium. It really is a great product in my opinion and is worth every penny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Dan: The guy uses a 'fogger', basically a venturi pickup that draws the oil into the airstream (like a media blaster) and a 16" long nozzle to get into cavities in doors and tailgate. Obviously, the more viscous oils require more air pressure to apply, esp during cold temps. He thinned the bar oil with kerosene to get it to flow better. I haven't looked for a fogger, but its simplicity suggests to me it may be an affordable tool to own. respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 05:12 am:

I bought a well used 2004 Dodge Ram pickup in 2011 with well over 100,000 miles. Around here in the midwest (NW MO.), rust is very common. The Dodge trucks here rust out over the rear fenders in just a few years. Tim W., paint doesn't help, it is a design flaw common to all auto companies, and has been that way for many years. This truck came from New York state, so I would assume that it was exposed to a lot of salt, if it was driven during the winter. It had aluminum running boards and a camper top with aluminum brackets. Some of the aluminum parts showed signs of corrosion, but there was absolutely no signs of rust in the body, even above the rear wheels. The truck had a coating of an oil like substance that looked like it had been sprayed on the whole under carriage, including the area where the rear wheel wells attach to the fenders. Maybe that was the "Fluid Film" that has been mentioned, I have no idea. Whatever it was, it worked. The rear bumper didn't have anything on the inside of it, and it was rusted. FWIW Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 07:11 am:

Wouldn't the product just wash out in just a few trips in slush or rain?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

look up the add for never wet, I have no connection to the co. or have ever tried it but it looks pretty amazing. Rustoleum has their version also. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Will, that's the thing, it will eventually wash off, but not that quickly. My applications of Fluid Film have been on for 6 months and are hanging tough. We didn't get a lot of snow this year but we did get quite a bit of rain. I will be definitely keeping up on it and adding more. It is expensive but have you priced patch panels, wire for the welder, and associated body and paint finishing materials? At the price of those, Fluid Film is a bargain even if it is a little messy. I am sold on it, your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

In my area as long as I stay away from the beaches I should be ok, Its when the wind is coming off the ocean and your within reach of it, it can turn your car pure white with salt. If my wife and I go to the beach we immediately run the car through a car wash to remove the salt. You see a big difference in the cars that stay by the beach side compared to the cars that are garaged a few miles away. My wife's friends took their Harleys to the Keys, In just 6 months the pipes were badly rusted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 01:59 am:

Most T's that I see on the road have an auto coater. It is the engine/transmission oil that leaks when driving. We sometimes refer to it as T tracks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

I can remember an "old timer" telling me that he used to get his car oiled in the fall. At a service station they'd put up on the rack, and spray used motor oil underneath. Went for a ride down a gravel road to make it into a paste and stick. Did it every year if I remember right. Bet the EPA wouldn't allow this now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stanley L Brown Drury, MA on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

I used Fluid Film on my plow truck last fall, sprayed it on warm with a paint sprayer. Was under it today and it still shows good coverage also seems to be a great lube and sprayed the springs on my T. Bought a five gallon bucket of it from Amazon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration